diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Curious about fuses (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/80263-curious-about-fuses.html)

bevo538 25th May 2006 09:24 PM

Curious about fuses

I have recently heard about "audiophile grade" fuses. While there is some sense to the theory, at $30 each for a standard 5A 115V fuse, that seems extreme. Any thoughts or experience with these? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

poobah 25th May 2006 10:16 PM

Just more garbage... thats all. The idea of gold on any connector is nice. The average fuse "believer" would probably play with them too much and rub the 5 cents worth of gold off though...

john curl 25th May 2006 10:30 PM

I hear that they sound good. Met a manufacturer of them at CES, he is OK.

poobah 25th May 2006 10:42 PM

Now John,

Is that heresay or hearsay? I take it the manufacturer you met at CES wasn't wearing big floppy shoes or a rubber nose?

Bevo,

I assume you're talking about an AC inlet fuse. In that case, those fuses would be just as useful as a $1500 power cord.

john curl 26th May 2006 12:54 AM

No, he was a German engineer and his fuses were made of silver, as the fuse itself. We went to the strip club later in LV, and fed $ to the young ladies. Poobah, you are making a fool out of yourself, fair warning.

anatech 26th May 2006 03:14 AM

Hi John,
I wonder about this myself. I am inclined to disbelieve this notion. The element still has to heat up thermally and melt open.

Better contact in the cap area may help, don't know. My concern is the actual element in the fuse. How different is that?

-Chris

Enzo 26th May 2006 03:46 AM

SO by making the element silver, we reduce the series resistance in the mains curcuit by a couple hundredths of an ohm. SHould make a night and day difference...

xplod1236 26th May 2006 03:59 AM

Now that you decreased the resistance of the element, you also changed the rating of the fuse (less resistance, more power it will handle before it melts). To compensate, you need to make the element thinner to increase its resistance, bringing the resistance to what it originally was. How do you explain that one Enzo?

poobah 26th May 2006 04:52 AM

I asked a simple enough question. No answer...

In your light, I might prefer to be a fool...

Fuses on amplifier outputs don't work... too many REAL reasons.

Sonic value of fuses on AC inputs... Please refer to Steve (the patent god) Nugent's pile of B.S.

Someone has to call this **** to the carpet.

I suppose you can hear heat sink material as well?

Enough already.... Jeeze!

jleaman 26th May 2006 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by poobah
Now John,

Is that heresay or hearsay? I take it the manufacturer you met at CES wasn't wearing big floppy shoes or a rubber nose?

Bevo,

I assume you're talking about an AC inlet fuse. In that case, those fuses would be just as useful as a $1500 power cord.

Hey hey.. he might need that 1500$ power cord to tell him he just wasted 1500$ :)

( $1500 is cheap ive seen a few last week about 10k EKKS. )