Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2006, 06:22 AM   #21
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

ill take the dancers
Old 26th May 2006, 06:25 AM   #22
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I think what it all comes down to is what you want to do and what you believe in. Dood! if you want to try them fuses go for it. If you don't think they did the job then a you learned something or b it did improve something and your happy. either way it's your money do what you wish and learn all you can
Old 26th May 2006, 06:53 AM   #23
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Remember that the purpose of your power supply filter is to filter out any perturbations from the supply, and if you can still hear anything, then your filter is not doing it's job properly.
Old 26th May 2006, 10:18 AM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
No, he was a German engineer and his fuses were made of silver, as the fuse itself. We went to the strip club later in LV, and fed $ to the young ladies.
Silver dollars of course. "Oh, Mr. Curl! That was COLD!"

Are we talking about power line fuses or signal line (output) fuses? If the latter, inside or outside the feedback loop? If it's signal fuses outside the feedback loop, even a hard core rationalist like me can see why some could sound better than others.
Old 26th May 2006, 01:04 PM   #25
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SY,
I was about to make that point. Had the words ready to flow out ......... and you stole my thunder dude!

I have to say, that with a design that is very sensitive to it's supply, these fuses may sound good. Example: a Counterpoint or related product

I think that if the power supply section has been designed well and is doing it's job, only an arcing line connection may be audible.

Output (outside feedback loop, or low feedback) or speaker fuses. Absolutely audible.

Quasi -
Wrong, two moderators near by!

-Chris
Old 26th May 2006, 01:36 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Three.
Old 26th May 2006, 01:47 PM   #27
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Had a feeling about that!
Old 26th May 2006, 02:20 PM   #28
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are very foolish Poobah to criticise without trying first. I don't care one way or another.
That's about as close as you can get to just calling me a fool. All this pontification is simply good free (sort of) advertising...

In many cases, I simply don't have the luxury of being able to test something before I design it. Try breadboarding a 100 kW invertor. You don't cob these things together with clip leads, silver or otherwise, and accomplish anything. It's all done with the math... perhaps a foreign art to fuse rollers.

Eva, as always, makes a point or two. In general, you will find that giving alot of women one dollar doesn't work nearly as well as giving one woman alot of dollars. You can test this... you'll need a woman though.

Quote:
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Menken via P. Mouse
Old 26th May 2006, 02:52 PM   #29
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

ok i can say i have tested that, the roll of $$$$$$$ works wonders lol
Old 26th May 2006, 03:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
What john is trying to say is that, given the hard times that we are living in economical terms, if you want to have enough money to go to strip clubs and fed dollars to the dancers (and later go to worse places to pay for doing worse things), you have to be open minded...
It's the "old boy" school of cameraderie.

It is used to avoid conversations of any emotional meaning. God forbid..

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
For example, you can manufacture $30 audiophile fuses and persuade a bunch of audiofools to expend their money in fuses rather than girls...
Or, take a "name" out clubbing, show em a good time, and they'll hawk your wares for them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
BTW: I hate those male attitudes...
I like yours.

Cheers, John

Hide this!Advertise here!