need help on my config

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys... im a newbie... so please be gentle...

i have problems getting my amp and speakers to sound good.

i do not have much cash so i use wad i find... mostly second hand from 2nd hand shops....

i am running my audio off my computer... into a car amp into a pair of sony speakers

My amp is a ADX 50w RMS car amp running of a old com power supply with a 12000uf cap as a filter. it iz clean.

my spkers are old sony wood speakers about a meter high with a tweeter, woofer and a odd piece of white plastic covering the bottom hold... i think iz a reflex of sum sort..

i have problems..

the music is coloured with switching noise from the computer as the computer's ps iz not clean... there for dirties the sound to an audioable level.

to remedy this... i have put a 100uf cap in parellel to filter it out..
but... it causes the sound to be very low and i cant hear the highs.... please help me!! thx!!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is the noise a buzzing at AC line frequency? If so,
it might be a ground loop with your computer. Also
if so, you might try floating one of the AC power grounds
in the system.

Otherwise, I would say forget it. Burn the music to CD's
and play it on a portable player.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Hack, and welcome:)

Have you tried just running your amp off a car battery? Even if it doesn't last for long periods it should give you an idea of how you setup would sound without a cheap power supply and will give you an idea of if you need to change the amp/ speakers or not.

You might be better off selling the car amp, and using the money to build your own amp, try searching on Nelson's forum, or maybe try a gainclone, I bet it will sound a hell of a lot better than your existing setup.;)

Good luck

Resistor

You can try to separate the shield in the RCA jack, then connect the resistor to the ground of the jack and the shield on the other side of the resistor.
This should give you a sufficient impedance in the ground loop.
You may try different values of the resistor if the distortion isn't sufficiently cancelled, but don't take values that are too high, because this will cancel the effect of the shield.

Re: Resistor

yeti said:
You can try to separate the shield in the RCA jack, then connect the resistor to the ground of the jack and the shield on the other side of the resistor.
This should give you a sufficient impedance in the ground loop.
You may try different values of the resistor if the distortion isn't sufficiently cancelled, but don't take values that are too high, because this will cancel the effect of the shield.

therefore i connect the ground of the output cable to the ground of the output socket?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.