Parasound amplifier problem? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2006, 02:12 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So are you going to have a look at his system? Take the scope to the amp if you can to watch things in their natural enviroment. I want to hear you tell him "I told you so".
Its the only way to take care of the situation. I will be armed with the scope and a trunk full of test gear. Sometimes the " I told you so's" are quite pleasureable.
Old 25th May 2006, 02:29 AM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Joe,
Bring a coconut cream pie with you!

.....and a camera.

-Chris
Old 25th May 2006, 06:16 AM   #13
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Parasound amplifier problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
A guy I know has a Parasound HCA-2200 11 amplifier driving a pair of Polk speakers. This guy has taken out several pair of tweeters in short time.

I believe the guy is clipping the amp and this is why the tweeters are being taken out. Other people are telling me there is a problem with the amplifier.

Anyone have any ideas/ suggestions?
I would measure output by oscilloscope, with speakers connected and some signal at the input of the amp. The situation looks like ultrasound or HF oscillations, probably the amp is unstable with some kind of load. Ultrasound/HF oscillations can destroy tweeters very quickly. They can appear only at some volume level, most likely at the point of classA to B transition with class AB amp.
Old 25th May 2006, 06:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Please contact Tony at Parasound. His number is: (415)675-7273. For the record, I have used a HCA2200 or its bigger brothers with my Watts for about 15 years without any problem. Something could be wrong with the amp, but check it out, before speculating about it.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please contact Tony at Parasound. His number is: (415)675-7273. For the record, I have used a HCA2200 or its bigger brothers with my Watts for about 15 years without any problem. Something could be wrong with the amp, but check it out, before speculating about it.
Tested the amp and its as sound as the day it was made.
Old 25th May 2006, 11:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Please contact Tony with your problem. Thanks, John Curl
Old 26th May 2006, 02:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Joe,
What sound did the pie make as it landed? You may need to stand by the preamp with a bat to correct this behaviour.

Hi John,
I am thinking strongly of user error here. If Joe hung a 'scope on the outputs and didn't see any fuzz, it's not an HF oscillation problem. Of course there is no real harm in contacting the factory either, unless high toll charges occur.

-Chris
Old 26th May 2006, 11:10 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Chris,

Logic seems to have gone to the way side when it comes to operation of audio equipment. The common idea seems to be that if you purchase a high dollar preamp it certainly will not clip nor will it provide too much signal to the amplifier.

John,

I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was slinging mud at the amplifier.

Quote:

HCA-2200II ULTRA HIGH CURRENT AMPLIFIER. Our premiere amplifier created by legendary designer John Curl has been called by "Stereophile," a benchmark product against which other amplifiers can be measured."

Thats one hell of a write up.

I am however dissapointed with your response pointing me to Tony even after I mentioned that there isn't a problem with the amplifier. I certainly hope I don't have to assume that you are in the same class as the great J. B of the noted SAE fame.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:53 AM   #19
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I have almost never found any proportion between price of "high-end" audio gear and quality of its circuit design.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Pavel,
Why would you expect that to be true in general?

I have never seen high quality inexpensive things, but I have seen some really well made, well designed expensive things. One thing for sure, if you don't pay the price you do not get quality. Of course, there is no guarantee of getting quality just because something is expensive.

Ever price art?

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!