Adcom pre-amp pot?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
adcom preamp pot?

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of an Adcom GTP-400 preamp-tuner with
a funky volume control pot. I've removed it, but hours of paging through Mouser, Jameco, etc web sites has proven frustrating.

I'd like to get a "drop in" replacement. I know ALPS is much better,
but I don't want to deal with making it fit.

The Adcom part is labeled:
V50KBX2 4TR-2586

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thanks,
RJ
:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought it was an Alps. If you can't easily get one, try
a 24 position selector switch (make before break) wired with
resistors - they're a pain to make, but very worthwhile for
performance and longevity. I like the Elma and Grayhill switches
the best.

adcom preamp pot specifics

Good questions!

no pic (yet)

dual-gang.
4 solder pins on the bottom.
panel mount, long (1.25") shaft.

Pot cuts out left channel at < 50% volume,
some scratchiness above that level, occassionally
distortion.

Tried massive amounts of TFE on the control.
Helped a little, but not nearly enough.

AFAICT, it's a cheap carbon comp wipe, maybe
plastic, don't know.

-RJ

adcom preamp pot pic

Here's a pic of the pot

Attachments

• adcom-pot-best-compress.jpg
    adcom-pot-best-compress.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 363
adcom part not available

Well, I broke down and called Adcom - I was not happy about the $25 minimum order (for a $3 pot), but figured that I had already exceeded that $$ just in my time searching catalogs and web pages.

No Joy. Adcom cheerfully told the part was not available. Wah!
They DID email a copy of the service manual, but the quality of the scan was so bad, I'll need to trace the circuit just to find out what this puppy is doing with it's 4 connections per channel.

I got a good deal on the preamp - $40 - but it may be wasted $$ if I can't replace the pot successfully. :smash:

Thanks for the help!

-RJ

GTP 400 SERVICE MANUAL

Well, I broke down and called Adcom - I was not happy about the $25 minimum order (for a $3 pot), but figured that I had already exceeded that $$ just in my time searching catalogs and web pages.

No Joy. Adcom cheerfully told the part was not available. Wah!
They DID email a copy of the service manual, but the quality of the scan was so bad, I'll need to trace the circuit just to find out what this puppy is doing with it's 4 connections per channel.

I got a good deal on the preamp - $40 - but it may be wasted $$ if I can't replace the pot successfully. :smash:

Thanks for the help!

I know its been many years, but do you still have the service manual for the GTP-400 ? ADCOM wants $20, and I'm not willing to pay them.
Thanks

-RJ

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, loudness tap.

Hi RJ,
What's the problem with paying them $20 for a manual?? Service manuals are extremely expensive from many distributors - if they will sell it to you. Many sources on the net also want $20 for a manual.

I don't think you're being reasonable, especially with how much time the manual will save you! You should see what we had to deal with before the internet existed!

Your choice man.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.