diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Class D amp? Digital amp? or traditional Class A? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/79770-class-d-amp-digital-amp-traditional-class.html)

rockytro 18th May 2006 07:53 AM

Class D amp? Digital amp? or traditional Class A?

What are all the fuzz about Class D amp now day? Can any one enlighten me? what is the advantage of a Class D amp? (apart from the fact they look very simple and very high efficiency) In terms of sound quality. Are they any good?

I maybe old fashion but I still think Class A fully discrete design is as good as it getsK. Am I out of date? And some even god Class T ?
:confused:

AndrewT 18th May 2006 09:00 AM

Hi,
to make them cheaper and earn profit for the manufacturer.:D ;)

mikeks 18th May 2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
to make them cheaper and earn profit for the manufacturer.:D ;)

True!

Class D, analog or digital, will essentially never be as good as class AB properly implemented....

AKSA 19th May 2006 12:36 AM

Oooo, Mikeks,

That's going to ruffle a few feathers!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Eva 19th May 2006 03:40 AM

Currently, there is a lot of marketing hype around class D because there are a lot of salesmen trying to make as much profit as possible taking advantage of the novelty without having a clue of that technology.

However, there are far more hype and far more salesmen without a clue about real electronics making profit of clas AB stuff, so things should not be too different. Actually, the main difference is that, while only a few people on the world can get a class D circuit to work right and clean, every fool on the planet can build and sell poor class AB stuff and send a dozen of dummies to write good reviews on forums in exchange for free amplifier modules. And the worst of all is that even that poor class AB stuff sounds right because it's just too simple to get it wrong.

AKSA 19th May 2006 04:03 AM

Ah, Eva,

Carrying a bit of baggage, are we??

Your contempt for salesmen is amusing - they pay your salary, perhaps?

Hugh

Eva 19th May 2006 04:09 AM

No, that kind of salesmen don't pay salaries :D

Also, if some salesmen ever pays my salary, at least he will get in return a good product to sell so he won't have to lie or deceive anybody ;)

AKSA 19th May 2006 04:14 AM

Thank you Eva,

It is nice to know you are a truly secure, altruistic human being.....

Of course, you wouldn't know about my or many other company's products because you haven't heard them!!

I marvel at the human weakness of belief without evidence..... it keeps us all in conflict.

Ciao, have a great day!

Hugh

Eva 19th May 2006 04:25 AM

I don't understand your point Hugh. The salesmen that are now offering that poor chip-amp class D stuff covered in hype and lies were doing exactly the same with poor class AB stuff yesterday. Furthermore, most of them are also offering tube stuff, connectors, exotic wires and the like, all mixed and regarded as "audiophile" "high-end" gear.

They will be glad to sell you a $3000 tube preamplifier, a $3000 interconnect and a pair of $3000 class D monoblocks based on Tripath chips.

Class D is just their new "toy".

AndrewT 19th May 2006 07:56 AM

I am in a quandary.

Do I sit back and enjoy? :devilr:

or

Do I wish I had kept quiet? :whazzat:

Decisions, decisions. Oh heck, just keep reading. :ashamed: