Class D amp? Digital amp? or traditional Class A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
What are all the fuzz about Class D amp now day? Can any one enlighten me? what is the advantage of a Class D amp? (apart from the fact they look very simple and very high efficiency) In terms of sound quality. Are they any good?

I maybe old fashion but I still think Class A fully discrete design is as good as it gets¡K. ƒº Am I out of date? And some even god Class T ?
:confused:

Currently, there is a lot of marketing hype around class D because there are a lot of salesmen trying to make as much profit as possible taking advantage of the novelty without having a clue of that technology.

However, there are far more hype and far more salesmen without a clue about real electronics making profit of clas AB stuff, so things should not be too different. Actually, the main difference is that, while only a few people on the world can get a class D circuit to work right and clean, every fool on the planet can build and sell poor class AB stuff and send a dozen of dummies to write good reviews on forums in exchange for free amplifier modules. And the worst of all is that even that poor class AB stuff sounds right because it's just too simple to get it wrong.

Thank you Eva,

It is nice to know you are a truly secure, altruistic human being.....

Of course, you wouldn't know about my or many other company's products because you haven't heard them!!

I marvel at the human weakness of belief without evidence..... it keeps us all in conflict.

Ciao, have a great day!

Hugh

I don't understand your point Hugh. The salesmen that are now offering that poor chip-amp class D stuff covered in hype and lies were doing exactly the same with poor class AB stuff yesterday. Furthermore, most of them are also offering tube stuff, connectors, exotic wires and the like, all mixed and regarded as "audiophile" "high-end" gear.

They will be glad to sell you a $3000 tube preamplifier, a $3000 interconnect and a pair of $3000 class D monoblocks based on Tripath chips.

Class D is just their new "toy".

Eva,

Perhaps I misjudged you, for which I apologise. :bawling:

Yes, it's true, salesmen everywhere will strive to sell product, some will lie, most will be fair, a few will bother to learn the product details.

But no one person has all the skills. The Engineer is rarely a Salesman, and vice versa. Both are necessary; a million beautifully made widgets still must be marketed and sold, and this is tough, often discouraging work.

I do feel you should accept that a society of people, Engineers perhaps :att'n: , and all terribly clever, would merely kill one another. We need a variety of classes, grades, call it what you will, for a reasonably stable world.

Speaking of which, have you read 'Brave New World'? Do you recall what Mustapha Monde tells the Noble Savage about a society of Alphas they created as an experiment?

I do believe there is excellence in every category. There are good Class Ds and bad Class Ds, same for AB and even A. As the technology evolves, the switching artefacts will steadily reduce and listening tests will show this. I have just replaced a motorcycle (a passion of mine); the comparison is chalk and cheese. My former bike was beautifully finished and packaged; but it was not refined mechanically, not that economical, and a bit skittish at times. And it was, well, bland. This latest machine is clearly a result of engineering passion; it's everything an enthusiast could wish for. There is clear evidence of magnificent design, and it shows palpably in the appearance and the operation. Despite a 27% larger engine, it uses 4% less fuel. But I would be surprised if the company makes much profit on this machine, and the dealer told me it languished in his shop for eight months with not one person showing any interest except me...... why is that?

Often the best products make very little money. Only the mediocre products generally enjoy strong sales success. Checked your operating system recently? :clown: And sales/distribution/warranty issues still mandate a 5:1 differential between cost of manufacture and retail; this is horrific, and really upsets the product designers.

Cheers,

Hugh

mikeks said:
Class D, analog or digital, will essentially never be as good as class AB properly implemented....
Those statements are dangerous if you don't have a crystal ball.

More 10 x 64 k memory can't anyone need.... said Bill Gates.

The world need for computer power is max 5 computers said some person long time ago.

Digital cameras can never be as good as traditional ones.....

etc, etc. Just wait and see Mike!

A while back I listened to a ICEPower amp, very nice I must say. :nod:

Class D is here to stay. :nod:

Eva said:
Currently, there is a lot of marketing hype around class D because there are a lot of salesmen trying to make as much profit as possible taking advantage of the novelty without having a clue of that technology.

However, there are far more hype and far more salesmen without a clue about real electronics making profit of clas AB stuff, so things should not be too different. Actually, the main difference is that, while only a few people on the world can get a class D circuit to work right and clean, every fool on the planet can build and sell poor class AB stuff and send a dozen of dummies to write good reviews on forums in exchange for free amplifier modules. And the worst of all is that even that poor class AB stuff sounds right because it's just too simple to get it wrong.
It's true that it's a class D hype right now but the reason for this is that the technology has become good enough. It's like when digital cameras got got enough.

But really, what is your point?

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hi,

In SS area? I did not wonder because fanatics. But From my point of view, the class-D is promised as good as class-AB or even class-A. Why? Because class-D today is not just only on lips but already proven by lot of ears.

The problem is that not easy to build a good class-D. I agree with EVA. Remember that class-D is new, and lot of people with enthusiasm inline to make the class-D growing, while class-AB and class-A are in the end of development.

The advantage for class-d of course efficiency and small size, especially for heatshink, and most of class-D only need 1 pair mosfet of output stage.

Maybe we just worry because we are not in part of changing.

Eva said:

point 2 : - Do you mean the gainclone stuff ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.