cyrus 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Luke said:
I know this is thread jacking, so feel free to ignore me, but how good are these Cyrus amps, seems the british HiFi press love them.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
very good, even the older ones.
I have a Cyrus Two with PSX. Sounds superb for the second hand price I paid.
Although my line level only Cyrus8 is better, but does not have phono.

Oh, I wish someone would post a Cyrus Two schematic.

Hi,

I'll second AT on this.

For British kit the Cyrus2/PSX is one the best second-hand buys.
Around its price second-hand its probably the best british kit.
I wish sometimes I'd sought it out instead of getting my Audiolab 8000A.

As far as I know the circiut boards for the Cyrus 1 and 2 are identical.
I think the 2 has two pairs of output devices whilst the 1 has one pair.
Also omitted from the 1 is an IC and bits for the MC stage, instead
it has two gain settings for the MM stage. The Cyrus 1 board also
has all the connections for a PSX but not the socket.
So a Cyrus 1 would be fairly easy to upgrade with a DIY PSX.

The Cyrus 1 itself does sound good, very lively but does lack a little weight.

:)/sreten.

Hi,
replacements for C8834. I think the C is short for 2sc but the following number is too large for a valid reference. The Japanese have only reached about 5000 odd.

So maybe not 2sc.

Ignore this bit,The 243, 253 are likely to be BD243, BD253, European origin drivers. But the complement to bd243 is bd244, these are 80V 65W 6A devices. The C rated are 100V. So again I am unsure about the 253.

Richie is almost certainly right about the MJE243, MJE253. makes a lot more sense.

British Champion

I really can't agree more, that the Cyrus 2 is a superb amp. I have always been playing with tube gear right from the 60's and have absolutely put aside anything transistor. All my stuff are from the vintage era.. ala... Jbl horns, Altecs, Goodmans red magnets, Tannoy Gold etc.... I was given a set of C2 with the DC power pack from a friend. Its is from the year 1988 I took it to a tech and had it serviced, changed all the caps and cleaned out the contacts. I hooked it up to a pair of vintage Altec 414a co-axle 12" speakers and got the shock of my life. The mids were excellent and the linearity, a little colder than tube had its own bounce and musicality. Coupled with the DC power pack it sounded much better, quieter and stable. The output transistors have packed up and so did one of the driver transistors. I have since grown to love this baby and is trying to restore her back to good health.
I joined today just so I could get help and opinions and I must confess you guys have been terrific, helpful and enthusiastic. Since this, the Cyrus 2 pages have grown by 2.

Thanks guys,

Henry

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, the thread went crazy as I zzzz overnight.

Replace the filter caps on the LV supply, 470 uF 63V are what I use, also replace the 10 uF caps. I use 35V, there are 4 to change. Refit the heatsinks to the regulators so they are snug, use a touch of grease. That's the last thing you do.

The MJE devices are available, use them. I use TIP35C for the outputs, not the cheap TI things! You should work on the PCB while leaving the heatsink attached to the outputs.

Check the feedback caps, I see a few opening up.

These are nice amps. The Cyrus Power (newest amp) is really nice. Unlike many British designs, the schematic is very advanced and it sounds it. These guys know what they are doing. The later build quality (new models) is very high. Failure rates are very low.

So as much as the Cyrus 2 sounds nice, you should have a listen to the latest products they produce.

-Chris

qrius4ever said:
Thanks Richie,

What do you mean by "if you are brave" Will I see another explosion like what my old ones did?

cheers,

Henry

Possibly. They are 80V devices and the rails are about 40V. I have known people run devices like this, but I choose not to.

In place of the TO247 case devices you can also use MJW3281 or MJW21194 devices from OnSemi, which may be an improvement over the TIP devices.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi richie00boy,
The 25A rating on the TIP35C part may be an advantage.

The MJW0281A may be the best sounding part for this amp. I haven't played with the MJW3281 yet. Either way, Cyrus seemed to be going for a high current part.

I agree that you really want a part rated over 80V, and there is very little difference in price between the B and C. It's an inexpensive part to begin with. Why even consider the 80V part??

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi richie00boy,
I am sure you meant heatsink NOT attached to the outputs there. You unscrew the clamp bar and the PCB retaining screws and you can just about get the board flipped over.
Nope. I am lazy. Unless I'm replacing outputs, the bar stays on. But then, I work on quite a few and I find repairing other faults more efficient this way. I do support the heatsink assy.

When doing outputs, I will typically totally clean the area and give the block a sand with 600 grit wet/dry paper. New grease for everything. It's hard to justify the time to someone if the output stage is not blown. I'm tired of arguing the point.

-Chris ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
Well, we were a colony you know! ;) The Queen is still regarded as, well, our Queen. What can I say??

I have toured the Cyrus factory, met the principles and engineers as well as some service staff. I am impressed with the people, the company and their engineering. I would recommend a listen to these without hesitation. Of course, not for everyone. A well made product to be sure.

Andrew, have you had a chance to check out their newer stuff?

-Chris

Edit: Cyrus recently "bought themselves" back from the Mission group. :D

anatech said:
Hi richie00boy,

Nope. I am lazy. Unless I'm replacing outputs, the bar stays on. But then, I work on quite a few and I find repairing other faults more efficient this way. I do support the heatsink assy.

When doing outputs, I will typically totally clean the area and give the block a sand with 600 grit wet/dry paper. New grease for everything. It's hard to justify the time to someone if the output stage is not blown. I'm tired of arguing the point.

-Chris ;)

Interesting, I could see no way of getting to the underside of the PCB without undoing the bar leading to flipping the PCB. The bottom and heatsink are all one casting. This is the Cyrus 2 circa 1990 we are on about?

Or are you saying you bend the legs of the output devices?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi richie00boy,
Oops! Wrong model then. In that case you are correct and on those you do dismount the outputs and flip. I see more of the plastic covered models with the heatsink bar stock.

Or are you saying you bend the legs of the output devices?
I would never do that. Now there is an invitation to replacing a set of transistors! :eek:

Those are not that bad to clean up.

The new models use that one use pad stuff. They are a pain because you need more of that pad material. If it sticks in the wrong spot, the new pad is ruined already! I am perfectly happy with mica and grease.

-Chris

cyrus 2 capacitor

Hi
I desoldered the capacitor but noticed that a track on the circuit board is broken ( see photo )
do you think this was caused by the blown capacitor.
To repair this do i just solder a wire across the break

Attachments

• cyrus5.jpg
    cyrus5.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,635
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.