cyrus 2 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2007, 01:01 AM   #101
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Andrew,
Thanks. Yes, two dead channels for sure unless special precautions are taken. Don't do it Ciu.

These amps are best used as they were intended.

-Chris
Old 8th February 2007, 11:32 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,
Just replaced the supply caps tonight. Swapped the original 10000uF 50V Elna for 12000uF Nichicon LK 63V. Got a cheap deal on Ebay.
Late night first impressions are favourable.

The bass seems to go deeper now. I'm trying to avoid the stereophile descriptions ........ must resist ...... temptation...... to ..... say that ....... bass ... is..... 'blooming'.

I'll comment further in the morning when I can play it louder.
This an experiment to see whether it is worth recapping the PSX that I normally use. Quality caps for that will be expensive.

Cheers,
Martin.
The Stick Insect Breeding Company
(Formerly known as Mouse Multipliers International)
Old 9th February 2007, 03:54 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

After listening at decent levels........

Yep, Definite improvement with the new caps.
Not mind blowing but definitely noticeable. As I said last night, more bass and it reaches lower which helps to offset the forward nature of my setup.

In my opinion, the rest of the frequency range is largely unaffected. It may be different for you if your C2 originally had Slit foil caps fitted.

I would definitely say that new caps in the Cyrus 2 (alone) make it sound better than it does with the PSX and it's original caps.
The next experiment is to find whether new caps in the PSX give a similar improvement?

An important message here is that a second hand PSX is probably not a fantastic bargain when you consider that you would have to replace those large (4) 15000uF caps before you improve upon a Cyrus Two with 2 new relatively inexpensive caps.
Having said that I'm still glad that I have a PSX despite the 60 or more it may cost me to replace it's caps.

Please remember that all of the above is simply my opinion based on my experiences with my setup and my particular capacitors.

I'm a little bit sceptical about cap 'break-in' so it'll be interesting to see if things change over time.

Cheers,
Martian.
Old 9th February 2007, 04:18 PM   #104
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Must resist.....off topic.....but.....new Sonusthree avatar......best yet.
Old 10th September 2008, 07:29 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Default Cyrus 2 with blown cap and trace

I have a cyrus 2 ..according to posts on this site looks like I have issue 6 design (i.e pushbutton mains switch).

Had cap 470uF 50V blow (not explode) and also trace burnt off board same as "atomised".
ALso had blown op amps in MC and MM sections of the PCB

From reading the posts on the site I replaced both
C63, C64 with a 470uF 100V
I made good the burnt out trace.
I replaced the 2 regulators with new LM317 and LM 337.

I removed but did not replace the blown amplifiers in the MC and MM sections of the PCB as I only wasnt to Play CDs dont mind if truntable circuitry is isolated altogether

I power the amp up and it worked for a couple of hours.
BUt then I notivced that volume decreased and had tearing sound on lhs.

Any suggestions..what diodes to check..any chance of rev 6 cyrus schematic ?

thanks in advance for any help.

Sean
Old 27th September 2008, 04:19 PM   #106
clappy is offline clappy  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi there, I am a totally ignorant person on technical matters. I have trouble with my Cyrus 2 amp. One channel drives only the tweeter, it no longer drives the midrange or woofer. I have brought it to my technician who explained to me he needs a schematic. I have found one for Cyrus 1 on this site. I also read that another user has had a similar problem....one channel was giving him 1/5 of the output. Can anyone help me.
Excuse me in advance for my poor technical language in trying to explain my problem. Hope someone is out there!!!Thanks for your attention
Old 27th September 2008, 04:28 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clappy
....... I have brought it to my technician who explained to me he needs a schematic. .......

Have you showed your technician the Cyrus 1 schematic? It's similar enough to be useful.
Old 27th September 2008, 07:36 PM   #108
clappy is offline clappy  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the speedy reply... no I have not given it (the schematic) to him. Hope to next week. Just wondering whether anyone can suggest where to look, so as not to have to check every detail, step by step.
By the way how much would you pay for a 2nd hand Cyrus 2, well kept, being sold on Ebay by a person who due to hearing problems is no longer able to enjoy listening or rather hearing the finesses of good music. The sale ends tomorrow and at the moment the bid is around the 120Euros.
Thanks again for your help
Old 28th September 2008, 12:35 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clappy
By the way how much would you pay for a 2nd hand Cyrus 2, well kept, being sold on Ebay by a person who due to hearing problems is no longer able to enjoy listening or rather hearing the finesses of good music. The sale ends tomorrow and at the moment the bid is around the 120Euros.
Thanks again for your help
Why not search Ebay yourself? Have a look at ended listings.

I would say from memory that 120 euros is the upper limit. What's it worth to you?

Some do go for more but this seems to be a random event. Newer models go for more. ......... unless it's a 'rare' early model where all of the paint has rubbed off the dials and the seller 'thinks' it's a special edition.

*EDIT*
Hey, what do I know? A very good condition Cyrus one just sold for 107. !!
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:21 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default Please folks, do you have the layout to help me to build this Cyrus one

Here is the board.

Some layout with transparence (Ray X) will be interesting...or, position of parts and component values over the board.

Of course i can discover that by myself...but will be a hard work and will waste a lot of time doing that.

Help!

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fotos 177.jpg (79.3 KB, 867 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!