Getting started

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey
I am new at building audio equipment.
I'm looking to get into building solid state stereo amplifiers. I have had some experience with amplifier design but I would like to get into it more. Can you reccommend some things to read and websites to visit? I want to build a amplifier that supplies 120 to 150 watts per channel rms. I have two old Cerwin Vega speakers that have an imput impedance of 8 ohms. Maybe later down the way, I will put together a new speaker system. I really just want to know what building a power amp involves. Like I said, I have some circuit design experience but I will probably not be able to design an audio amplifier right now. So I want to build someone else's design and just see how it works.
Any help to get me started will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Hi,
really simple first decision:- chip amp or discrete?

next:- kit or buy your own parts?

Finally:- really good sound and aesthetics or just for the learning experience?

Try Leach for a good explanation of a well documented discrete.
ESP for a long list of electronic topics (many amp design projects there as well).
Ampslab,
Brian GT here on the forum for a chip amp.
SKA discrete, available as a ready assembled PCB or as a PCB + components or PCB only.
Aksa,
Borbely,
Krell thread for a rambling read with a few gems thrown in (some technically correct and a few howlers).

and many others.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
AndrewT said:
Krell thread for a rambling read with a few gems thrown in (some technically correct and a few howlers)

That'll be me then! ;)

Mark,

120-150W is very challenging for a complete beginner, and can even throw a few experienced builders. How about MikeB's Symasym? 60W or so and a well-regarded relatively simple amp, with lots of backup on the forum. A great discrete component project, other than that, the various LM4780 chip amp projects would be a good start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.