Construction Techniques(putting DIY in a proper enclosure) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2006, 06:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Construction Techniques(putting DIY in a proper enclosure)

I do not see a dedicated Forum/Thread for amplifier construction techniques. I'll post this here in hopes that it gets some general public notice and hope I don't get heat for putting this in the wrong place.

I have read of people using routers to cut and shape aluminum. I have read of people purchasing complete Knock-Out sets for $15 on the net. I have of read people purchasing large chunks of heat sink extrusions and cutting it up like cheese. It is sometimes hard for me to go back and find these points or search them in the archives. It’s all in here in the DIYAUDIO pages but not so accessible all the time. There are many different projects all being built different each time.

Would the community here be willing to post some of their creative discoveries regarding these and other closely related topics on building enclosures and cases? Tubes and Transistor projects have similar issues yet many differences but wouldn’t they share this type of forum/thread together?

I am finding the esthetic look of my DIY designs restricted to the enclosures that are readily available, and I don’t really find many of them inspiring. I want to learn what others are doing so I can try my hand at crafting my own chassis etc.

I guess the next best thing is to look at the images threads and ask how “it” was constructed.

Really just a thought, perhaps it doesn’t make sense as a separate topic but what do YOU think? I envision a new forum with many threads?

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 17th May 2006, 06:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Projects on the go

Just so you get the idea; I have 3 power amps on the table and two of them are running and none of them have enclosures yet. It is a real road block for me and I need to envision something nice before trying to assemble it. Yes there are some very nice enclosures available on the internet, so many indeed, but I want to see the DIY unveiled!

DIY does things like nobody would ever try just using what is available. The results can astonish while remaining on a low budget.

Ja Bless,

Shawn.
Old 17th May 2006, 06:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Etching PC boards

Etching printed circuit boards, many methods, a separate thread?

Goodtimes,

Shawn.
Old 17th May 2006, 09:04 AM   #4
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Is no one biting?
Ok, here's some of mine thats easy to do.

This one is used for stuff with low needs for cooling. Gainclone, Hypex etc.

It's made out of 6mm MDF that is glued together and then veneered. The top, sides and front is one "solid" piece while the bottom and back is another. This way it's easy to open it up and fiddle around.

The preamp above is made the same way, It's a grounded grid pre btw and it is yet to be completed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0980.jpg (29.1 KB, 1002 views)
Old 17th May 2006, 09:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

another pic.

Edit:
I forgot that the suplier of the pice of aluminum wrote my name on it and I was to comfortable to remove it (lazy has such a bad ring to it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0981.jpg (34.9 KB, 955 views)
Old 17th May 2006, 09:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My Krell to be.
Cost: approx 30$ in material and a bottle of scotch for the welding. Could have gotten it for free but it's nice to stay on friendly terms with people
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0977.jpg (33.6 KB, 1007 views)
Old 17th May 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
VEC7OR is offline VEC7OR  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to VEC7OR
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/audio
For inspiration browse this. It really gets you mind moving.

As for machining you can just look up in the catalog of companies, Toronto is a big city, you'll find dozen of companies that do waterjet cutting, galvanazing, etc.

I think DIYaudio needs a separate forum about mechanical things.

As for PCB manufacturing, just search the internet, it is full of good guides. From my experience I can say that YES, it is easily done, preferably with photoresist coated boards, printer and iron method sucks, dont bother doing at home anything that has smaller than 0.5mm traces(I've done 0.3mm, but the process is hard to monitor), boards with lots of vias(you can metallize vias at home but its easier to do without them) and anything fancier than 2 sided board, in these constrains it is easily and cheaply done without any hassle.
Profanity took a very interesting form in Russia where there exists a language of sorts, most of its words based on four basic profane roots - nouns p...is, wh.0.e, c..t and verb f..k. It is possible to sensibly communicate using just these four basic roots.
Old 17th May 2006, 07:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Mechanical

Quote:
Originally posted by kmj
It's made out of 6mm MDF that is glued together and then veneered. The top, sides and front is one "solid" piece while the bottom and back is another. This way it's easy to open it up and fiddle around.
kmj, you are obviously a five star speaker cabinet maker? The use of wood on amps and preamps is too cool. Very nice indeed but is shielding ever an issue?

Quote:
Originally posted by VEC7OR
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/audio
For inspiration browse this. It really gets you mind moving.

As for machining you can just look up in the catalog of companies, Toronto is a big city, you'll find dozen of companies that do waterjet cutting, galvanazing, etc.

I think DIYaudio needs a separate forum about mechanical things.

As for PCB manufacturing, just search the internet, it is full of good guides. From my experience I can say that YES, it is easily done, preferably with photoresist coated boards, printer and iron method sucks, dont bother doing at home anything that has smaller than 0.5mm traces(I've done 0.3mm, but the process is hard to monitor), boards with lots of vias(you can metallize vias at home but its easier to do without them) and anything fancier than 2 sided board, in these constrains it is easily and cheaply done without any hassle.
Inspiration for certain! I'd like to see more of the DIYer showing off their very own hand at metal work, not just farming it out to a deluxe metal shop. Metal shop is great but I want to learn the sneaky little tricks that people pull at home with "regular" tools. Of course I can walk into a metal shop and drop a few hundred and get going on a box but that is not exactly what I'm looking for.

Printed circuit boards, I have made many! Why is there no local guide in the DIYAUDIO.COM with illustrations and pics for the budding audio enthusiast? Of course we can all Google the net and find gold, I do it all day long but what a waste of time vs. dropping in on a detailed forum, HERE with a supportive peer group?

I'll try by example, the boards I etch tonight, i'll try to make a brief tutorial and post later.

VEC7OR, very nice avatar! You like LOW frequency, yes? I built a 4th order bandpass with isobarik 8" drivers for my car a few years ago. A year later I left the trunk open in town and the thing dissapeared with a nice power amp attached to it. My wish is that it is being used by some bass terroist teen driving around in a Honda Civic
Old 17th May 2006, 07:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

We are certainly aware of the interest in a Fabrication forum, and it's high up on our to-do list once we get the new software up and running.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th May 2006, 07:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Fabrication Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
We are certainly aware of the interest in a Fabrication forum, and it's high up on our to-do list once we get the new software up and running.
What is the new software? Why is it not up and running? Need more resources? Just asking, sounds proper but do tell us more. Can the community help?

Shawn.

Hide this!Advertise here!