Harman-Kardon PM 665

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi

I have this vintage amp, at least 20 years old and has been through a few owners. I myself have had it for about three years, in which period I must have used it regularly for about a few months only.

Now the amp has a huge turn-on thump and a large amount of DC offset is passed on one channel. I might mention that at some point this had been plugged into a 230 volt mains (the amp was supposed to run off 120v), blowing some of the driver transistors. After getting some custom-wound EIs and replacing a couple of drivers, we adjusted the bias point and all was good.

Now it takes a long time to switch into operating mode from standby, and once it does promptly passes about 15 volts of DC through its left channel. The switches are all a little noisy and scratchy, and the case is not in the best of condition, the very thick front panel is partially bent and some of the plastic inalys have broken off.

It'll cost me about $100-150 to go get it fixed, the way I see it, maybe more. One of the PS caps was sparking badly, I should probably replace all of them, maybe all electros and microswitches, and the failed transistors.

Q: Is it worth it? It sounded quite good when I had it, and had speaker-bottoming power. Some nice output transistors (4 pairs of 3281/1302 - Originals as far as I can tell) and very beefy 400 VA 38 volt EIs, but not much else of value. I probably will need to dump it or give it away to charity or something if it's not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.