Carver PM1.5 120 to 240V question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2006, 11:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Carver PM1.5 120 to 240V question

Hi everyone

I've a Carver amp I've been using for a few years in Australia (PM1.5) with a step down transformer.

Still works fine, just would like to get rid of the step down transformer...

I've opened up the amp and seen the diac/triac board which has a section indicating some jumpers possibly to change when using 240V (J3-J5). However J2 is supposed to be connected for 120V operation and currently it isn't! (and is working fine !!! )

I also noticed R9, C6 and C7 are not fitted on the board, and was curious if they needed to be for 240V operation. See pic attached.

Would appreciate any knowledgable opinions on what is the likely best course of action without blowing it up!

Cheers, Kendrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg editedpm1.jpg (91.7 KB, 216 views)
Old 16th May 2006, 01:01 PM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kendrick,
Just a quick from the hip remark for you. I am positive the triac would need to be changed out. I recall there was a different part number for it. That and the Mag coil windings need to be put in series.

There are other things to do. I would highly recommend this be done at an ex-Carver warranty shop. Make sure it's a tech that actually used to work on these. The circuit you are changing is fundamental to the way this amp operates.

Due to the nature of the way this amplifier draws power from the AC supply, use a step down transformer sized much larger than you would normally think it requires. At least you are step down, rather than up!

-Chris
Old 16th May 2006, 09:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Anatech

Thanks for the post - I also sent an enquiry through Phoenix Gold (Carver Pro) and they've sent me the pdf which describes MANY things required to change. Many thanks Phoenix, great customer support.

You are right the Triac needs to be changed also...why they have misleading information under the lid is beyond me...

If anyone needs a copy just send me a PM.
Old 16th May 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kendrick,
The guys in Carver engineering were a great bunch. I wonder if Phoenix got any. It's good to hear these fellas are concerned about customer service.

-Chris
Old 17th May 2006, 02:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I agree Anatech.

Now I need to find a Q6035 (600V, 35A) Triac to fit (most of the other parts required I should have if I scrounge around here). Mouser lists some by Littlefuse, will these suffice if the above V and I specs are met?

Digikey have Q6035P5 in stock which is an Alternistor made by Teccor - similarly, would this do the job? (T03 Fastpack P package - different to the current package but shouldn't be a major issue to fit)

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Tecc...pak%20Triac%20(25%20and%2035%20Amp).pdf

Any help appreciated.
Old 17th May 2006, 01:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kendrick,
That's exactly the one I was thinking of. Got a 404 message by clicking on the link.

Teccor is the manufacturer that the newer triacs were sourced from, so you are using exactly the same part that Carver warranty was using.

I'll try the link here: http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Tecc...035%20Amp).pdf

-Chris
Old 17th May 2006, 09:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris, that's very reassuring to know. I'll get me some.

I have the 120V version spares if anyone needs them (Q2035 I think).
Old 22nd May 2006, 01:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I now have a full workshop manual which is most helpful (thanks again to Phoenix Gold). Some useful owners manuals also at http://www.carverpro.com/download.html . Managed to set the main HT DC voltage and biases within spec - dropped the HT down to more like 119V vs 125V (hate running caps close to their upper rating of 130V- 80% is more sensible!) Horrible hard to adjust pots....arrrgh!

EVA, if you're listening in, would you care to comment on the most suitable caps to suit this amp (2200uf/50V and 2200uf/80V in the lower supplies)? I presume high ripple current is important - most I've seen are around 3.1-3.2A and impedance 23-61mohms. Packaging replacing the dual voltage caps is a constraint though. Anatech suggested SMPS types would be useful but having no experience with SMPS I thought I'd ask someone more knowledgable.

Hide this!Advertise here!