Hill Audio LC800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ,

Does any one have a schematic for this amplifier? I have one on the bench right now. It has a fault with one channel. I have only got as far as taking the lid off and cleaning out the dust so far.
It would be good to have a schematic too. Heres some pics.
I think what the problem is it's been dropped or knocked on the volume pot on one side. But a schematic would be great any one.................................

100_0026.jpg

100_0027.jpg

100_0030.jpg

100_0029.jpg

100_0028.jpg

Hey,

Its problem was that if you addjuctes the volume on the left channel it would go all crackly and the sound would break up. You could force it to do it by pushing the board that the volume pot is mounted on.

I re-soldered around on the board and vola the problem stopped. So it must have had a bash on the volume pot and since its mounted on the PCB.

One happy amplifier.

hi Sakis
i agree it is a mess, the LC1200 was worse it had same box with larger smoothing caps and massive transformer in there as well. not a lot of room, and yes the do fail a lot, the connectors on the circuit boards are a nightmare, dry joints common and stock faults like fan cap and zobel cap failing.

however these amps are liked for there bass by there owners they love em. i dont complain i fix just em.

i am with you all the way

i was working with a hill schematic in the past and actually it become one of the best amps i ve ever builted

the thing was that it started as a clone from original hill then after afew things and problems it was modified and happilly working ...producing loads of power ....solid rock and average quality ...( i make money of these amps in my PA systems )

but ...the main thing was that eventhough clone the construction inside was done in a hell of a diferent way ....

regards sakis with hapilly working sziklai !!!!!

blast from the past

JoolsB
Hi there.
Were you at Malcolm's place in Maidstone(was it?) when some nutters from Birmingham turned up to try his amps with Earthquake bins,A chunk of ceiling plaster missed every one in the room.Nice bass indeed.
Regards
Max
edit] ps anyways we bought a pair and if memory serves one them vapourised an earth track once.

Hi Sakis

Yes, I agree too. They were a nightmare to build. Very fiddly and time-consuming. It's a pity there wasn't more investment put into them but the competition from the bigger companies sealed their fate. Soldering quality was always a problem, especially towards the end (of the company). I'm pleased there are still a few out there being used though.

Hi Max

I wasn't there but that does ring a bell! We used to enjoy hearing exactly what those beasts could do. The main site where I worked was in Bearstead, near Maidstone. I think Malcolm lived in Maidstone or thereabouts. When I worked for Hill Audio it was no longer owned by Malcolm, but there was an odd and inextricable link between the two.

Hill Audio LC1200 - Chanel 1 half dead...

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if anyone's going to pick this post up or not as it looks like a while ago people were chatting...

but I've bought an LC1200 from a friend, and after about 10 minutes of it being turned on, Chanel 1 will fade out and die.

It's definitely the amp, not any cables or anything...

What does this sound like might need replacing?

The only other thing I have to go on, is that as I turn it off...
Where it does a quick 'flash' through all of the LEDs, on the chanel that is broken, an led stays ON for a second longer where it says 'signal'

Any ideas guys?

Stew...

trying to get a clue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.