Insulators for ho-3??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No,not T0-3 here's what they look like:

Attachments

• new-4.gif
    new-4.gif
    93.4 KB · Views: 139
I took apart a JVC integrated amp one time and there was no insulator on the chip. I can't remember if the heat sink was isolated or not. If you have the pinout make sure the case is hot. If so, try to find one salvage in a repair shop maybe, or perhaps find a sheet of mica and cut your own. Good Luck:(

The cases on most STK devices are not hot. They are bolted directly to the heatsink. (No Insulator)

These devices have been used by JVC, Pioneer, Yamaha and Sanyo ( who also makes a lot of these devices)

I will check on the pinout early next week and let you know for sure.

Jam

If it turns out that the heat spreader on the module IS tied to a pin as compared to electrically isolated, get a piece of Kapton film (preferably Kapton MT or similar) that's a mil or two thick, trim to fit (leaving extra along all edges), coat both sides of it properly with a good thermal compound, and use it as the electrical insulator.

Kapton is thermally conductive (0.37 W/m for the MT type) while acting as a HV elctrical insulator (5KV+ per mil dielectric strength).

oO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.