Hafler DH101 preamp repair and mods?

Hi, I too would like to upgrade power supply, upgraded transformer to toroidal and it sounded terrible, pre- amp became very hash to listen to. Quickly reverted back to old transformer, I realize now it would benefit from better power supply. My DH- 101 in stock form has no hum on line stage when volume is turned up full. No music. Phono stage has small amount of hum after ¾ volume with turntable plugged into source ,none without table plugged in.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113336685910601049348/Desktop?authkey=Gv1sRgCNG5_dbT2qrlTA#

Yesterday I returne original preamp transformer and hum is gone, it seems unlikely that the hum coming from the toroidal transformer and I still can not believe it.

I remover wires from phono 2 inputs and placed input wires from 102 there. I put output wires from 102 to phono button. Power supply wires go to empty holes next to color coded wires on power supply. I just don't know where the mute wires go. And they are shorter than the others. But there is a hum now. I tried going straight to the pcb where the phono input is and bypass the button switch but I get no sound when I do this.
Any Ideas?

I remover wires from phono 2 inputs and placed input wires from 102 there. I put output wires from 102 to phono button. Power supply wires go to empty holes next to color coded wires on power supply. I just don't know where the mute wires go. And they are shorter than the others. But there is a hum now. I tried going straight to the pcb where the phono input is and bypass the button switch but I get no sound when I do this.
Any Ideas?

Are you sure that the DH - 102 correct, it sounds to me you are connected well. You can try to attach it instead PHONO 1 input, output from the DH-102 attach to the point where they are attached C8-R15
"don't know where the mute wires go"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Ok. This is basically what I did before and I still have no sound at all. I can put it back running through the switch but I have loud hum when I do.
Why would it work through the switch which id using same input on the board and not work going straight to the board?

Sulzer-Borbely Regulator

Tried and tested Sulzer-Borbely Regulator Power supply, results are more than good no hum or noise perfectly stable, but I returned the original transformer is much more pleasant to listen to.

Last edited: