diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Krell KSA 100mkII Clone (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/78129-krell-ksa-100mkii-clone.html)

Mark A. Gulbrandsen 17th April 2006 02:55 AM

Quote:

KSA-100 used 2 of those tunnels.

Speaking of KSA-100...... is anyone out there interested in persuing this amp as a project? I would definately want it to be the MK-2 version. All semi's are still available excepting the VN and VP series mosfets. These however could be easily subbed by modern IR units, perhaps using the IRF9610 and 610 devices.

This would require a new board design (Al Perhaps)? I would be willing to front the $$ to make up say 100 of them so they are available.

This seems like the next logical step in creating our own Krell Klones... then perhaps on to the KSA-80 or 160.

Let me know your ideas and opinions on this(constructive only please).

Thanks!

Mark

awpagan 17th April 2006 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen

Speaking of KSA-100...... is anyone out there interested in persuing this amp as a project? I would definately want it to be the MK-2 version. All semi's are still available excepting the VN and VP series mosfets. These however could be easily subbed by modern IR units, perhaps using the IRF9610 and 610 devices.

This would require a new board design (Al Perhaps)? I would be willing to front the $$ to make up say 100 of them so they are available.

This seems like the next logical step in creating our own Krell Klones... then perhaps on to the KSA-80 or 160.

Let me know your ideas and opinions on this(constructive only please).

Thanks!

Mark

I remember the ksa50, there was something about the sound that made it.
i wasn't overly impressed with the future krells:rolleyes:

although a ksa100 with later components could be interesting:D

how much difference in the circuit is there?
do you have a schematic?

allan

pinkmouse 17th April 2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
This would require a new board design (Al Perhaps)?
Though I don't need a 100W class A amp, if someone can get me an accurate schematic I would certainly be willing to give it a go as and when time allows.

konst 17th April 2006 10:44 AM

all schematics and service information you could possibly ask for is at the bottom of this pagekrell service info :smash:

Upupa Epops 17th April 2006 10:52 AM

... and after one year do it again... ;)

konst 17th April 2006 11:05 AM

I agree with awpagan though about there having been something special about the ksa50, i wonder if it makes more sense to build a ksa100mk1 (the post 1983 edition)?

and then after that make one of the BIG monsters, just because...

jacco vermeulen 17th April 2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it makes more sense to build a KSA100
Constructing a KSA50 that can deliver nearly 100 watts in Class A makes more sense than trying to do the same with a KSA100.
Bare i mind that neither the KSA50 and the KSA100 were fully biased.
The KSA100 did 160 watts in 8 Ohms, the KSA50 is a good compromise between output power and dissipation.

Upupa Epops 17th April 2006 12:46 PM

More heat, please... summer will be cold.... :D

konst 17th April 2006 12:57 PM

f you compare the schematics for the ksa50 and ksa100, they are very similar, with the ksa100 having more output devices and some of the component values being changed.

awpagan 17th April 2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Upupa Epops
More heat, please... summer will be cold.... :D

everyone. we'll have to do it.
just to make someone happy:D

allan