Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2013, 07:53 AM   #2571
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A 35+35Vac transformer could be substituted for the 37+37Vac that the KSA100 uses.
And using Flod's data you can get the same output power for lower dissipation.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:08 AM   #2572
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
Thanks a lot guys. Man I was shocked when I saw that the wiki was gone. A thread that big and they killed the wiki. Looks like someone started a new so that should be good enough. I haven't decided whether or not to use TO3 or plastic yet. I am contemplating stripping my Aleph-X and doing a passive unit with plastic devices. I've never been satisfied with the AX and that huge coffin might make a nice KSA. I already have two KSA 50's, one with TO3 and one with MJL4281/4302. I have plenty to go either way. The plastics are enticing because I won't need tunnels or fans. I might go down a little in rail voltage too. Don't you just love DIY?

The regulated supply looks interesting too. I did that on my Low TIM.

Thanks, Terry
Hi Terry, just curious about the two you have built. Is there any substantial difference between plastic and TO3 transistors?
Old 24th July 2013, 03:34 AM   #2573
diyAudio Member

Not that I can hear. If I switch from amp to amp they are pretty much identical. I prefer the design of the one with the TO3's. For the plastics I put two flat panel heatsinks fin to fin to create a sort of tunnel. This pic is how I intended to do it but it was too tall so I stood that on end in the center of my case with a hole in the bottom under the sinks then put the fans in the back panel blowing air out of the case. This forces the air to be drawn in the bottom of the sinks. I think the sinks get enough air but the case gets really hot for all the hot air coming out of the sinks.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a picture of the TO3 model sans the case.
Old 24th July 2013, 07:10 AM   #2574
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
yes I agree, TO3 construction looks very robust. I don't know how your fans are, but some of the quiet pc fans these days are incredibly quiet.
Old 7th August 2013, 01:13 PM   #2575
banzas is offline banzas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi ,
can you please tell me about that driver psu, how much current needs this driver stage, have you rewgulated ?
Thanks Luis
Old 19th November 2013, 09:20 PM   #2576
agronk is offline agronk  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Can i use these cap`s:
F&T 47000F Electrolytic Capacitor 63V
seems they dont have 75V
47000F Electrolytic Capacitor 63V % F & T GMB47306365100 from Conrad.com
Old 20th November 2013, 09:01 AM   #2577
xslavic is offline xslavic  Moldova
diyAudio Member

no dont use them,unless you choose carefully capacitance and deviation to be within 1000uF and not more.
You need 75-100v capacitors,dont be greedy consider multiplying your tested AC x 1.42 i receive 242 VAC from wall and it gets up to 250 ,even 1 volt above capacitor maximum rating can damage it ,and use self healing capacitors soldering them with SnCu and Silver .
Heal the capacitors before soldering them with low voltage(10-25V) for 10-15 minutes -connect them all in series ,let them discharge by itself
-use some copper or aluminium wire to tie
also a good advice -dont use bridge rectifier use Ultrafast switching schotkky there are some with 35ns recovery and low drop,very smart

Last edited by xslavic; 20th November 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 20th November 2013, 09:38 AM   #2578
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The Krell Klone runs on raoughly +-52Vdc.
Adding on 6% for highest mains supply voltage brings this up to ~+-55Vdc
If the bias is turned down a lot or the amps blow the secondary fuses after the smoothing capacitors, then the voltage will rise much higher, possibly rising a further 5V to end up with a worst case +-60Vdc.

63V capacitors are rated for 63Vdc. They are no problem on a Krell Klone running @ +-52Vdc.
Old 17th April 2014, 06:42 AM   #2579
diyAudio Member

can we add EEEngine in ksa100? like yamaha?

Hide this!Advertise here!