Krell KSA 100mkII Clone - Page 183 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2007, 10:07 PM   #1821
PWatts is offline PWatts  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Here're two very preliminary 1kHz and 10kHz squarewave tests of a proto board. This is minus output stage, 0 bias and at only 35V rails so not at all proper operating conditions, but it gives an idea. Transistors were 2SA970/2SC2240 input, 3310 mosfers, 2SA968/2SC2238 predrivers and MJE15032/MJE15033 drivers. R and C values are the same as in the BOM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f0000tek.jpg (73.9 KB, 637 views)
Old 10th September 2007, 10:10 PM   #1822
diyAudio Member

10kHz..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f0001tek.jpg (73.9 KB, 582 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 12:07 AM   #1823
diyAudio Member

Default Re: More pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by loek
Hi Flodstroem, it would be nice to see a full body picture here of your stuffed board maybe?
Greetings, Loek
Ok loek here we go.........

Quote:
Originally posted by PWatts
Here're two very preliminary 1kHz and 10kHz squarewave tests of a proto board. This is minus output stage, 0 bias and at only 35V rails so not at all proper operating conditions, but it gives an idea. Transistors were 2SA970/2SC2240 input, 3310 mosfers, 2SA968/2SC2238 predrivers and MJE15032/MJE15033 drivers. R and C values are the same as in the BOM.
very nice indeed PWatts. Yes it gives us an idea and thats not a bad one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bild 2.jpg (87.6 KB, 716 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 12:11 AM   #1824
diyAudio Member

This is my solution for the drivers heat sink: on the rear side of the main board (solder side). Board will be clamped by the drivers heat sink to the ventilated bottom of the chassis, something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bild 3.jpg (73.1 KB, 694 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 12:12 AM   #1825
diyAudio Member

another couples of views:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bild 6.jpg (62.4 KB, 700 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 12:13 AM   #1826
diyAudio Member

last one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bild 7.jpg (59.6 KB, 973 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 07:42 AM   #1827
diyAudio Member

One thing I can't remember if I've mentioned: the boards were designed exactly according to the originals. The driver transistors' screws were not insulated with a plastic bush i.e. the screws made contact with the collectors. At the bottom of the board, they tightened it with tooth washers, so in effect the collectors made good contact with the power planes directly via the screws. However, this means that the heatsink must be well-insulated. What Krell did was to drill the holes quite a bit larger, and then fit 3mm inside diameter bushes inside the holes to ensure there will be no electrical contact between the screws and heatsink. The easiest though is to simply use Nylon screws of course.
Old 11th September 2007, 04:26 PM   #1828
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWatts
One thing I can't remember if I've mentioned: the boards were designed exactly according to the originals. The driver transistors' screws were not insulated with a plastic bush i.e. the screws made contact with the collectors. At the bottom of the board, they tightened it with tooth washers, so in effect the collectors made good contact with the power planes directly via the screws. However, this means that the heatsink must be well-insulated. What Krell did was to drill the holes quite a bit larger, and then fit 3mm inside diameter bushes inside the holes to ensure there will be no electrical contact between the screws and heatsink. The easiest though is to simply use Nylon screws of course.

I dont think Nylon screws are the best solution for this application though its seems to be the easiest. Nylon screws do change their strange when mounted in a hot environment, they could even melt down if to hot. Best solution as I can see it would be to use the original "Krell method" As insulator bushes you can use a flexible urethan/glass fiber reinforced tubing. Those type of insulating tubes could withstand several hundreds of C.
And also could be easily cut with the help av a scissor or a wire hand cutter.

As you maybe could observe at my boards, the pre-drivers are fully insulated types and for those transistors there is no need for insulating hard wares.

The heat sink for the drivers (on rear side of main board) will be fully grounded by the mounting screws from the bottom chassis. Because of that the driver transistors had to be mounted with all necessary insulating hard wares.

Regards
Old 18th September 2007, 08:30 AM   #1829
diyAudio Member

Default Off Topic : PCB Wanted

Can I still chance to get 2 pcs of the PCB, thanks !

Thomas
Old 20th September 2007, 12:09 AM   #1830
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in buying a set of the Krell KSA 100mkII Clone PCB, like the ones Flodstroem uses

By the way, Nice Heatsinks Flodstroem

Hide this!Advertise here!