Powering an amp from just + and -?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah because my amp is goin in a very small case and the transformer is going in a diff case for emi and such shielding so instead of trying to use a xr5 or whatever it's called 3 wire mic cable for my power i could just use a cord from my old playstation (now deceased) with the quick connecter in the amp and use only 2 conductors.

EDIT: i've been to your site and looked around and can't find any info on the ZEN....

It is possible to build two amps and bridge them to achieve what you want. Some modifications will be needed to bias the input ground between the supply rails. You'd need to watch out for things like psu decoupling capacitors that originally connect to the 0V gnd and make sure their currents don't modulate the input ground.

I'm not sure what Nelson is talking about. I can't think of many ways to use a single split-rail amp without doing something nasty like a series cap to the speaker with the other end of the speaker tied to one of the supply rails.

BAM

Your question should be: can I modify this amplifier to run from a single supply voltage?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: You could add a circuit to derive the midpoint of the supply voltage, and use that as ground. It's not worth it just to save a connector.

Quad did this quite successfully in their 306 and 520 amplifiers - using 2 electrolytics and 2 transistors to steer the midpoint to Vcc/2

The rest of the amplifier was 'conventional' in that it required a split supply. Advantages: automatic protection from output DC faults and negative feedback reduces any ill-effects of the capacitor-split. Drawbacks: both capacitors should be rated at the total supply voltage, else a DC fault (eg shorted output transistor) will ensure that the full supply voltage is placed across one of the capacitors.

Check out this thread for a schematic...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.