Behringer A500 as a DIY project - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 10:21 AM   #121
JonPike is offline JonPike  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread. I think I hear my (happily working for 3+yrs) A500 asking for some modification loving... Is that schematic still available?
jhpike_at_cox_dot_net

TIA!
Old 20th March 2010, 04:39 AM   #122
JonPike is offline JonPike  United States
diyAudio Member

Suddenly dawns on me I should have inquired about the more elusive Service Manual...
Old 20th March 2010, 11:12 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

see post 119
Old 25th August 2010, 06:27 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Hello linuxworks

i did the mod you showed on your fotos cool, my question is it possible to remove the hole display board ?

thanks
hironimo
Old 25th August 2010, 06:44 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

It lives!

This is an old thread but still a good one and it reminds me that many of you in other countries won't have got to hear about a discovery we made here in the UK concerning the A500.

Quite simply, it's performance improves dramatically when bi-amped. This of course assumes that your speakers are bi-amp capable. The main improvement was in 'boogie factor'. The A500 suddenly discovers 'rhythym' and 'groove' when bi-amped.
Old 25th August 2010, 06:58 PM   #126
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technobear View Post
It lives!

This is an old thread but still a good one and it reminds me that many of you in other countries won't have got to hear about a discovery we made here in the UK concerning the A500.

Quite simply, it's performance improves dramatically when bi-amped. This of course assumes that your speakers are bi-amp capable. The main improvement was in 'boogie factor'. The A500 suddenly discovers 'rhythym' and 'groove' when bi-amped.
Hi,

can you be more specific?What do you mean by bi-amped? You can't bi-amp
an amplifier!!!

B.L
Old 25th August 2010, 07:11 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlamp View Post
Hi,

can you be more specific?What do you mean by bi-amped? You can't bi-amp
an amplifier!!!

B.L
Bi-amping: using two amplifiers instead of one.

In our case, one amp drove the bass units and the second amp drove the treble units.
Old 26th October 2010, 01:37 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
2. There are 2 op-amps in each channel. They are for receiving balance signal, converting them into single path for volume control. Behringer uses JRC4558 with a slew rate of only 1V/us. I have changed all op-amp in both channel to Burr Brown OPA2134. OPA2134 has slew rate of 20V/us, wider bandwidth (8Mhz), and lower noise. The result is quieter, faster and clearer high ends.
Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can get some help..

I've just performed the above mod on one channel of my A500. I was unable to get the OP2134, so I went for the LM4562-MA thinking that would also be compatible
It hasn't worked!! The speaker "pulsates" with a loud humming noise. As you turn up the volume pot you can hear the music getting louder but it's very distorted and the pulsating and humming gets louder to!!

I'm no expert on this matter but I imagine the LM4562 is not a straight drop in replacement like the older OP2134 is??

Is there any modifications I need to make to the surrounding components to make the LM4562 work in this circuit?? Or is there a newer better version of the OP2134 that would be a straight drop in replacement??

Cheers..
Murphy
Old 26th October 2010, 09:45 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Hi there !

Can someone give me info about A500 Power Transformer ...

I got some info to deliver 2x52v - but i dont know what is VA .. someone even talk about 600VA ????

Thanx !
Old 26th October 2010, 10:05 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik Floding View Post
Hi all!
I noticed that Hi-fi World had measured a lot of old-fasioned crossover distortion on this amp. Any idea if it is feasible to crank up quiscent current on this amp?
Rgds
I know that there are many factors which result in quality sound or the opposite, but in a blind A/B/X level-balanced test of several studio/PA amps, an amp measuring 3% crossover distortion had a noticeably inferior stereo dimension and overall less interesting character than the rest.

I don't know if "this equals that", but in case it does, there it is.

Last edited by Tape Echo; 26th October 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!