Simple RIAA phono preamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
95% (or 99%!) of all RIAA amps are simple. You have to go over 300 USD in order to get higher "techology". Most RIAA amps consists of a NE5532/34 or a 4556 plus a few passive components.

Check for instance NAD PP-1 and MTech, not cheap, very simple.

The vinyl market is rather limited these days and has no future (like tubes).

Re: Re: Simple RIAA phono preamps

planet10 said:
More complex than the ones peranders pointed out, but cheap.
http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

This was a new one, never seen it. Very beautiful, but batteries....:xeye: 16 hours at 4-6 USD (in Sweden), expensive but rechargable batteries are an alternative.

Rather high noise though (but lower than the vinyl itself). :D I wonder if the gain is for 1 kHz?

http://www.hagtech.com/trumpet.html

Cool! :cool:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Bugle

Hi!
I have built the bugle, and IMHO, it is a "Black Cube Killer".
(I had a "Cube", witch now is sold...).

My version: See picture

Arne Karlsen
NORWAY

Attachments

• silverbugle-1.jpg
    silverbugle-1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,584
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bugle!

The schematics of the Bugle can be downloaded from http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

I have tried some different op-amps, and caps, (the Wima caps are similar type as used in the "Cube").

There is a small "bug" : thermal noise when constructing/using very high gain, (over 45dB).

I think this can be bettered by a small re-design, using less resistance...

Per Anders, you can probably see and explain better...

Arne K
Norway

Yes, chassis is from Taiwan...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: The Bugle

Cobra2 said:
I have built the bugle, and IMHO, it is a "Black Cube Killer".
(I had a "Cube", witch now is sold...).

Arny,

Nice... was that since i emailed you the URL?

Way better than the Radio Shack you had enquired about.

I was thinking one of these might be good mounted in the plith of a TT. Now i'm thinking i should go ahead.

Coupled with a variation of Dice's linestage in the tube pre-amp thread i could lose my store-bought pre.

dave

Re: Bugle!

Cobra2 said:
There is a small "bug" : thermal noise when constructing/using very high gain, (over 45dB).

I think this can be bettered by a small re-design, using less resistance...

Per Anders, you can probably see and explain better...

Yes, check the resistor values of the feedback. Way too high! Almost any RIAA of class has values from 5-10 ohms, max 100 ohms (MC) to 100-220 ohms, max 470 ohms (MM). High values generates noise.

OPA2130, ugh! noisy! NE5534 has 12 dB lower noise!

To have resistors in series with the non-inverting input are also totally unneccessary, adds noise only. The opamps are FET-type = very low input bias current => Resistor matching means nothing in order to reduce offset voltage. Since OPA2130 is a FET amp, this resistor choice can reduce distortion but I think it's more wise to have low resistor values instead, then the distortion will be low

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dave...

I will come back to you later...on more of your mu-metal...
I did build the Bugle several months ago, actually, I built 2...
The RS unit, was just to check what "everybody" at AudioAsylum raved about...(and I have more friends...), I do not believe it is very interesting.
Now, I also have one of Jocko's RIAA, (it's superb), and I have sold my Ortofon T-3000 Step-up trafo, and soon also my Denon AU-340 Step-up...

How great it is to be a bachelor.......;)

(BTW, I'm also car-crazy, having a Cobra II + 2 x Capri....)

Arne K
Norway

Joined 2002
Paid Member
About OP-Amps

Tried first w. OPA2604 (what I had) =too noisy for the first two stages...tried then LT1364, did not like the sound (and still noisy),
ended up w. OPA2134 on first two, and a AD825(x2) last...
Have not tried more since the "Jocko RIAA" came in house...

Arne K
Norway

Re: About OP-Amps

Cobra2 said:
Tried first w. OPA2604 (what I had) =too noisy for the first two stages...tried then LT1364, did not like the sound (and still noisy),

Opamp for MM should have noise below 6-4 nV/sqrHz and MC <2 nV, 0,3-1 nV is good.

Re: About OP-Amps

Cobra2 said:

Arne K
Norway

heh, they seem to be the best opamps for everything at the moment!

whats this jocko's RIAA business?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.