Elliott P3A US Transistors, Sources and Prices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I'm going to multi-amp into 4 Ohm loads and the P3A seems to be an interesting way to go. Also, I live in the US.

Yup, I have 48VCT 320VA transformers and heat sinks too. But, I need help. I can't fiqure out what transistors to use or where to get them from US suppliers.

I have contacted Elliott and he sent me to the P3A site.

I went to the P3A site. It did not even mention the front end transistors and only suggested one alternative for the drivers.

I have looked at DigiKey and cannot figure out what transistors to use for front end or drivers in the circuit. Sonics and reliability are paramount.

So the questions are:

What transistors do US residents use in the P3A for the front end, drivers and outputs?

Where can I get them them?

At what prices?

Are there sonic preferences for any transistors?

Any tweaks to the circuit for better sonics?

Discussion would be great!

Thanks

ab :cool:

Hello,

I am using BC546a that I got from www.mouser.com. I got BD139/BD140 from www.futurlec.com but now I found that www.newark.com has good prices on both :) 100 pack of BC546s for under $8 ! Also for the outputs I am using ON Semi MJL21193/94, since I burned two pairs of Toshiba 2sa1302/sc3281 and could not get those anymore.

Transistors are 1% metal film from www.futurlec.com, all caps are panasonic from www.digikey.com. I am using solen poly caps for the input caps, soldered one end to the rca jack and the other goes to the board.

I was reading Leach thread, and looks like MJE340/350 is another alternative for BD139/140 ? I am not exactly sure on that though.

Jean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.