AMP with Very good sound low watts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for an amplifier with very good sound quality. I don't care if it sounds loud, I care only for GOOD sound. I was thinking of building a small tube amp with, but I'm not sure it sounds better than solid state and if it worths the trouble.
What do you think from your experience? Is there a small power solid state amp with the quality of the tubes? (if they have it, as many people say).

I think you can build an amplifier of GAINCLONE series. It is very simply: one IC only and you can obtain up to 50 W with very good sound near tubes amp.
National Semiconductor make the following power ic:
LM 1875
LM 3875
LM 3886 and others.
Look at others Threats on this forum or search on google.
There is a big world around its.

Francesco.

aetosa said:
Thank you for your answer, but I'm looking for an amp to built , not to buy. Thanks again.

Ok. Try ...

http://www.diyparadise.com/charlize.html or

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=257

These are excellent Tripath chip based kits that will give you wonderful sound. I have built the Autocostruire amp, modified a Sonic impact amp, and built a Gainclone Chip Amp and found the Tripath amps to be much more detailed and tonally faithful. These amps are only 15 usable watts or so and will need efficient speakers. I run them off of sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries and they are dead quiet. Search through the class D forum here for a wealth of information on these and other more powerful class D amps...

Good luck.

The AKSA can be configured for 25W and has been described as a 2A3 on steroids!

Widowmaker also has a nice current dump design on this forum; Le Monstre from Hiraga comes to mind, most of the Zen and Aleph variants from Nelson are excellent, and Andrea Ciuffoli's Power Buffer is very good...... there is quite a choice.

Cheers,

Hugh

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mourip said:
Thanks for the thread link. Is there a working schematic somewhere or has anyone constructed this yet?

The topology is common, it can be applied to many tubes. I'm away from home so don't have much handy to post. It is a LTP (long tailed pair ie differential amp), driving a push-pull pair of output tubes. The details of the execution are what make the difference in quality.

dave

Attachments

• ltp-pp.gif
    ltp-pp.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 873
Actually before giving advice there should be a question round on your preferences.
We we first have to get a good chance at a diagnosis of your audio illness or audio skills...:dodgy:
Anyway.
Visit the thread le monstre questions of kvholio,
the amplifier is very nice, 8W and sounds good.
I once heard mine on large magnetostats (1*2 meters) - astounding.
It's not the numbers of WATTS but WHAT the amplifier does when it is asked to do something.
Very or absolutely neutral; I have a tube amplifier for when I want a laid back sound. This monter is easy to listen to.

aetosa said:
I'm looking for an amplifier with very good sound quality. I don't care if it sounds loud, I care only for GOOD sound. I was thinking of building a small tube amp with, but I'm not sure it sounds better than solid state and if it worths the trouble.
What do you think from your experience? Is there a small power solid state amp with the quality of the tubes? (if they have it, as many people say).

I've built this " iron-ss-amp" , a 0dB Power Diamond Buffer with a
1:3.16 (10dB) step-up transformer , only 25W Class AB but
sounds very GOOD.

Morkai , a Taiwan Audio Company ,has completed the IPT & CASE
and AB TEST with 300B tube power amp.

some pictures about the 25W amp and AB test vs 300B

Attachments

• 00db.jpg
    00db.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 683
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.