Disgregate amp for $$ cheaper posting - folly or doable? *Urgent!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m very keen to buy an amp that’s cheap on eBay in the US with 0 bids so far, closes in about 3 hours. But one $ hurdle.

The USPS limit is 44 pds. The packed weight on this amp is *56 lbs.
I checked 4 people and 3 freight companies, and freight would cost **more than the amp!

So:

The seller has agreed to the idea - take the amp into a local electronics shop, who takes out the heavier items eg transformers to trim a total 6 – 7 kg (13 lbs) off, and put the removed items in a separate box, to get under the 44 lbs limit.
Even paying his fee, someone at this and to reconnect & the check, I estimate the saving is about $US 194!

It is 100 w > 8 ohms, 200 w > 4 ohms, 400 w > 2 ohms
So the PS is very robust. It is dual mono, but don’t know if dual trannies. Someone here thinks it’s insane, someone else (both with way more experience than me) thinks it straightforward.

An eg 750 VA toroidal weighs typically 5.2-5.5 kg, if it only has a single trannie that doesn’t weigh 13 pds, what other item should be “pulled”?

Doable? Crazy? Minimum precautions?

Thanks

auction...

I'd be wary about getting excited ... about an object many miles away... that requires (major) de- and re- construction.. to even get it. As they say on 'e-bay'..." Happy Bidding. " ... (and more again)... Still, if it's what you want... it's only money. Take care!

If it’s a single trannie, weighing what I suspect (say 800 VA > about 6.2 kg or 13.6 pds) all that needs to come out is one component.

If a heatsink were removed, the output devices might get damaged in transit, even if the amp were stuffed(/).

The key question, if need be – what would be the next most sensible components to bring out??

Thanks for all the advice. I think the safer path, and probably better sonically, is to build an Aksa.

With a load of 3.5 ohms, I thought I needed the 100 watter, but checked with Hugh from Aksa and the less expensive 55 watter will watter will handle it.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.