op-amp based preamp advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!
I need a good preamp, line and RIAA stage.
As for the line stage, I need approximetely 6 dB of amplification.

I just browsed the solid state forum looking for a simple answer
but, unfortunately I got more and more perplexed
:bawling:

So there are few questions:
- what op-amp for RIAA stage (I thought about AD 797, would
this one be a good idea?), anyone got good shematics for this?

- what op-amp for line level, after reading, reading and reading
the forum I have three favourites: OPA627, AD825 and AD6810.
Simple question, considering the ideal aplication for each three,
which one would be the 'ultimate'???

- I guess I need buffer. BUF634 or antyhing else? Or maybe a discrete buffer? Any schematics welcome.

- Power supply. I guess it's very important. Would battery PS
be a good idea? Where can I get schem. for circuit that would
load batteries when empty?

- Volume control. Actually I want it to be IC-based, but how
about the sund of such ic-based volume regulators?

Sorry for such a lame questions, but finally I have some time
and just want start some soldering ;)

Thanks,

Adam

;) ;) ;) :)

If you are looking for a work horse, check out OPA134/2134/4134 from Texas. This opamp can deliver rather much current also. The noise level is sufficient for MM RIAA amps but for a little bit lower noise, check for a opamps with 2-6 nV/SRQHz. Less than 1 nV is needed only for MC pickups.

OP37
LT1028
LT1128
LT1115
AD797
NE5534 (not so bad!)

plus many more....

Thanks Peranders,
but I am looking more for a specialized audio op-amps,
dfferent for RIAA and different fo Line levels. I assume that
because the difference in signal level between phono and
line I will need different op-amps to meke the most of the signal
am I right (I mean that the different op-amp will sound the best
in RIAA and different in 'live-level' application)?

Adam

OPA134 and others are very suitable for audio, read the datasheets to be convinced. Almost any opamp with slew rate >5v/µs will work but some works better. Some opamps are more suitable for "gain" than others. These are often not stable at gain lower than 3-10. Check for instance LT1028.

OPA134 will work for everything except for extremely low noise applications. I have put in OPA134 in my headphone amp (QRV-02) and I am impressed by it's technical clean performace. The step response is perfect down to gains at 1.

G

Joined 2002
Hi Adam,

I have a PCB layout that would let you use either an OPA627 or AD825 with a BUF634(TO 220 package) on the output. Below is the schematic:

G

Attachments

• opamp5d.gif
    opamp5d.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 804

G

Joined 2002
Never built it Adam. Not yet anyway. This is what is referred to as a Jung multiloop configuration. I just decided to lay out the board one day. It keeps me sane.:rolleyes: If you would like I can send you the schematic and the board file(ExpressPCB) and you can look it over. I think that the layout is sound. I have one with two channels on one "miniboard" that is layed out to use Caddock MK132 resistors. Bu t think you could get away with others. Let me know and I'll send the stuff.

G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.