help with selection of high power amplifier kit for dj/sound reinforcement use - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2001, 03:59 AM   #11
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I build two or three good sized sound systems a year.I buy my woofers in 100 lot direct from Eminence so I do get a little better price than the average guy does.When I need a small quantity I buy from either Image Communications or a distributor I won't name as they only sell to shops.Parts Express and MCM are very expensive.The part number on the compression driver varies epending on whether it is the original or type II diaphragm (the original is smoother, the type II has more high end above 10Khz) 2001/2002, 8 or 16 ohms, and bolt on or screw on.A XXX2002S-16 would be a type II diaphragm 16 ohms with a screw on mount.The main question I would have is what kind of a time frame do you have for completion? It is going to take you probably two or three weekends to build and finish off the speaker cabinets (paint or carpet, corners, handles, grills, jacks, etc).All the amplifier and crossover boards could be stuffed in a weekend.But I would allow six weeks to acquire all the parts and finish mounting them in a chassis and test everthing out.Do you have this kind of time?
Old 24th September 2001, 07:16 AM   #12
ogp is offline ogp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ogp
yea....there is no real rush...I just wanted to build some dedicated sound equipment that I could use for house parties and such. I am trying to design the speakers in WinISD, but am unable to figure out how to add the tweeter to the woofers. I can only get two woofers in the program. Is the tweeter not a big deal? Or am I just doing something wrong? Or is there some other program that I should use which is better?

Dave
Old 27th September 2001, 03:24 PM   #13
ogp is offline ogp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ogp
Default bandpass

djk, when you suggest a bandpass box, are you suggesting a 4th order or a 6th order bandpass?
Old 29th September 2001, 10:59 PM   #14
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"djk, when you suggest a bandpass box, are you suggesting a 4th order or a 6th order bandpass?" I was thinking of a 6th order type.I do have a design for a 4th order type that is 104dB/2.83V but it doesn't quite go high enough for this system.
Old 30th September 2001, 12:06 AM   #15
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
OGP: You do not really have to factor in the tweeter when determining box calculations, because every tweeter is basically in its own enclosure. However, I would suggest sealing off the tweeter inside the enclosure (i.e another mini-enclosure)so that the waves coming from the bass drivers don't interfere with the tweeter.
Old 30th September 2001, 03:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Nearly all tweeters are enclosed. You can do anything you want behind them. My ribbons, for instance, are not, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
Most mid-range units need to be enclosed in a special space of their own, though.

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!