Yamaha EMX 88S Powered Amp Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can any one shed some light on this really annoying problem i have tried to get answers from other sites including Yamaha and have just found it a total waste of time.
I am part of a rock Covers duo group and we provide entertainment to most public houses and other venues throughout the south west region. However we have one real pain in the neck problem. The Yamaha EMX 88S we use to drive our backing tracks as well as Mics and one Guitar hooked through the P.A from my Marshall is Clipping. We could be playing any venue and find the sound momentarily goes low and then comes back up straight away i have also notice that before this happens the led lights are flickering up into the red zone. What the hell is this? I have tried different combinations of setting up the speakers and monitors but it still clips. It is only clipping out with the backing track and now and again if you stand too close to the mic the sound will drop. This is supposed to be an 800 watts max amp when all four speakers are connected. The main speakers i am using i do not know the make of them? I bought them second hand some years ago and they look professionally but custom made. These have 15" speakers and the monitors are proline bought brand new and are 12" but i know the make sounds crap but they are a good set of speakers.Can any one shed any light where the fault lies? I have read through the manual for the amp and just am not getting no answers? Is the amp underpowered for these speakers. One thing i dont want is for someone to tell me oh its your speakers and i shell out another couple of hundred quid only to find the problem is still there. I would be thankfull if any of you could give me any clue where i am going wrong.
Thankyou

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Room 237, and welcome to diyAudio.

Well, it sounds like the amp is going into protection mode. This is probably down to one of two reasons. Either you have it turned up too loud, and it just can't provide the volume you want, or the way you have connected the loudspeakers is producing a load that is lower than the amp can drive satisfactorily. Could you provide a wiring diagram to show how your system is set up?

Yamaha Emx88S

Sorry i never came back to this thread. Still having the same problems which are very annoying. Is there anybody here at all familiar with this amp?
Today i had just completed a gig and finding that in places the speakers were off and on only partially not even a second. The very last song i did the speaker started to drop out. I turned to see the limiter led's were lighting on the amp then finally both speakers went down. Thinking that the amp was shot i got the equipment home and tested the amp with another set of speakers and found it to be perfectly ok. The B215 Beringer speakers which are 600watt are now only producing sound from the top horn nothing from the actual speakers.
I need now to get this problem sorted out. should anyone require a diagram of how my set up is i would be happy to provide this.
Where the Behringer speakers are concerned i made sure i purchased some that were well within the scope of the amp but it seems that they were not??
Another point to this is that both speakers have failed i do find this odd as in the past or through past experience i have never come across two speakers blowing at once unless they were over powered?
Any help please to address this frustrating and now costly problem.:confused:

Re emx

Thank you Bud for the reply. As for the metal head bit no i perform all kinds of music. Yesterday when the clipping started i was only playing an acoustic set so nothing really was being driven too much. The POD was the effects pedal i was using into the PA so there was no need for any extra external amp. The set being played at the time was not using the POD at all. The guitar was plugged into one of the inputs to which the handbook clearly shows you can do. So there was one mic, one guitar and the backing.
I did have some much bigger speakers i used to use but these were far too big with the amp so had to put these to one side and buy the Beringer's.
I know that this has got to be sorted out as i don't want to blow another set of speakers as this has proven costly to me now.
Thanks

Can any one shed some light on this really annoying problem i have tried to get answers from other sites including Yamaha and have just found it a total waste of time.
I am part of a rock Covers duo group and we provide entertainment to most public houses and other venues throughout the south west region. However we have one real pain in the neck problem. The Yamaha EMX 88S we use to drive our backing tracks as well as Mics and one Guitar hooked through the P.A from my Marshall is Clipping. We could be playing any venue and find the sound momentarily goes low and then comes back up straight away i have also notice that before this happens the led lights are flickering up into the red zone. What the hell is this? I have tried different combinations of setting up the speakers and monitors but it still clips. It is only clipping out with the backing track and now and again if you stand too close to the mic the sound will drop. This is supposed to be an 800 watts max amp when all four speakers are connected. The main speakers i am using i do not know the make of them? I bought them second hand some years ago and they look professionally but custom made. These have 15" speakers and the monitors are proline bought brand new and are 12" but i know the make sounds crap but they are a good set of speakers.Can any one shed any light where the fault lies? I have read through the manual for the amp and just am not getting no answers? Is the amp underpowered for these speakers. One thing i dont want is for someone to tell me oh its your speakers and i shell out another couple of hundred quid only to find the problem is still there. I would be thankfull if any of you could give me any clue where i am going wrong.
Thankyou

Well got to say the amp was a pile of dung! Never will i buy another Yamaha Power mixer like this. The bloody thing was awful from the start, and i tried everything to stop this clipping. Even spending just over £1,300 for a pair of matched speakers never did the job. So cut my losses went out and purchased a Peavey PA which was absolutely brill and i wish i had gone this route in the first place.
This thing has been a complete headache. But also on the top of that the absolute poor response i got here!
Guys out there who think they know it all know absolute nothing. Its ok to have some techno coming on here giving all the know how with all the techno jargon and then come down to it cannot help me sort this problem out.

Thankyou everyone for the absolute abysmal help i received hence i won't be coming here again!
So still have an amp which is totally dire and contacting Yamaha i would be better off looking for Bin laden.
Yamaha EMX Poor show poor amp 800 watts of pure greif. My advice to anyone stay well clear of Yamaha! Go to Peavey.
Peavey techno department back up is tremendous.
I had a problem with one speaker and this was sorted in 24 hours BRAND NEW SPEAKER CABINET beat that Yamaha!
I have used the system now in around 40 gigs and this has been a delight to use and no more grief either. So the amp now is for home recording as this is all it is good for and no good for any full time band work. Just is not strong enough! but also certainly not up to the job.
Just thought i would follow up. Thanks everyone for no help.
What i will say is that those who buy the best what are you buying? A name ! But can the name live up to its reputation? In many ways no. I even had a Gibson Guitar which developed a problem on it and Gibson's help was absolutely pee poor! So when you are buying a branded name because you think if the item develops a problem you are sure of good back up service don't believe it not in this day and age anyway.

i dont know if you are able to read this .... its ok if you dont

Yamaha products will not need your opinion to go on ...they have shown their face regarding performance and quality way before you started to listen music ... as BMW is another brand from Mercedes like wise Peavey will offer somethings more and some other less than Yamaha learn to live with that ...its a general rule ...

personaly i would never buy anything from Peavey eventhough i belive that they make machines to live for ever i dont like the way they sound ...i prefer yamaha's sound by far .

Now as about your post it is more than obvious to me that even if god or magician of sound poped in to your post and say """just replace capacitor C101 and all will be fine "" you are still not able to do that ...as you ar not able to describe that nature of your trouble as you are not able to evaluate more than one million comments that are posted here on many important issues ....

nothing wrong with that ...its no more than fair you are just a musician .... and we ...humble techicians that spent time here we have to remain obliged and pay our respects minimum only for the gods of audio that are simply registered in this forum .

Be sure that neither any of these gods , nor simple tech guys like me will never provide a """ fastfood "" solution and especially to someone that is not able to understand it

kind regards sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.