What is biwiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only argument I can buy (and IMO it's a stretch :rolleyes: ) is that a single cable can reduce the damping factor of an amp. Interaction between the sections of crossover are 'locked' behind this reduction in damping factor. Running a separate wire from each section to the amp will therefore reduce unwanted crossover interaction.

I use an amp with a low damping factor, I don't bother with bi-wiring instead choosing to do something that will make a real difference.

I started to get lost about here:

“But we digress - back to the crossover. One of the problems with a standard crossover is that since one pair of cables carries the signal to and from the amp, bass signals can tend to swamp the more delicate treble stuff, especially in the return (or negative) connection back to the amp. “

and

“By separating the signal all the way back to amplifier's output stage, using two runs of cable or a purpose-made four conductor biwire cable, these effects can be greatly reduced. To do this, you need speakers designed for biwiring.
That means the crossover needs to be completely split, without the common negative found in standard design.”

And

“To all intents, a biwirable crossover is two separate circuits - one to filter the treble out of the signal for the bass driver, the other to prevent the bass from reaching the treble driver.”

The only reason I can think of to Bi-Wire is if you are using cables that are too small. By using two sets wires, I guess you will half the resistance of the wires.

Other than that. . . . .

:D

Just use active Xovers and use different amps AND wires!!! That will allow you to "biwire" and make a sound difference, all at the same time!

Hi Bashorneman,
moving the crossover out of the speaker cabinet and placing it directly into the amplifier output terminals has been done.

My versions of it sure looked ugly!!
I then ran 1pair 0.6mm wire to treble, 2pair to mid and 3pair to bass. It worked just fine.

Just remember to never connect a full range amp to the speaker terminals.

I am a believer. Bi-wiring does help clean up the sound.

Try using 2 pair of cables to a bi-wirable speaker but with both ends connected. Then compare the sound with the speaker ends separated into the separate terminals. Same cable cross sectional area, same length, same sound? No.

My opinion is bi-wiring is worthwhile IF you don't buy expensive cables.

My other advice; keep the cables SHORT.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
Still can't do anything with your hair? Is that the same cigarette I saw you smoking a few days ago? ;)

-Chris (completely OT now)

On Topic,
Connection resistance may easily exceed wire resistance. Crossover impedance will exceed connection and wire resistance put together. 16 ohm speakers are starting to "sound" good.

Hi all,

Something tells me I should not join in.

Let us quantify: Any moderately decent speaker cable (not bell-wire) will probably have a resistance of some 50 milli-ohm for about 10 meter (30 ft.)

In an 8 ohm system this means a loss of 0,6% of signal or roughly 0,05 dB. Even if this wire was so heroically non-linear as to be 0 ohm in one direction of current and 50 m.ohm in the other, the nett effect would still be only 0,05 dB.

A test I once did on 12 different brands of speaker cable (including rip-cord) to determine the much-vaunted influence (especially in promotion) of capacitance and inductance, revealed that for the worst sample, inductance would make a 3 dB difference at over 200 KHz, and capacitance totally in the MHz region.

Indications of ignorance of basic electricity in articles are usually revealed by such expressions as a wire carrying the signal to the speaker, and another doing so back to the amplifier. Audio signals are alternating current, flowing in a complete circuit (circle); one wire does not carry the signal there and another back. Big signals do not swamp "delicate signals" - there is no non-linearity in cables. And they are not "incapable" of carrying the "wide audio frequency range". Audio is a tiny frequency increment at the bottom end of the electronic frequency range. Your very ordinary TV co-ax cable carries frequencies of 1000 times wider frequency range than audio.

With apology for boring most folks already knowing this, but just to re-assure the originator of this thread.

Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.