What is biwiring? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2006, 09:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What is biwiring?

This biwiring is confusing stuff. What is he really talking about?
http://www.whathifi.com/newsMainTemp...ewssectionID=3
Is this really true or have I misunderstood something?
Old 30th March 2006, 09:54 AM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

The only argument I can buy (and IMO it's a stretch ) is that a single cable can reduce the damping factor of an amp. Interaction between the sections of crossover are 'locked' behind this reduction in damping factor. Running a separate wire from each section to the amp will therefore reduce unwanted crossover interaction.

I use an amp with a low damping factor, I don't bother with bi-wiring instead choosing to do something that will make a real difference.
Old 30th March 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's not very serious article. What are you particularly confused about?
Old 30th March 2006, 10:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I started to get lost about here:

But we digress - back to the crossover. One of the problems with a standard crossover is that since one pair of cables carries the signal to and from the amp, bass signals can tend to swamp the more delicate treble stuff, especially in the return (or negative) connection back to the amp.

and

By separating the signal all the way back to amplifier's output stage, using two runs of cable or a purpose-made four conductor biwire cable, these effects can be greatly reduced. To do this, you need speakers designed for biwiring.
That means the crossover needs to be completely split, without the common negative found in standard design.

And

To all intents, a biwirable crossover is two separate circuits - one to filter the treble out of the signal for the bass driver, the other to prevent the bass from reaching the treble driver.
Old 30th March 2006, 10:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, these are most humouristic parts of article. Trust your own mind.

regards

P.S. reread first paragraph you've quoted.It purely violates current Kirchhoff's law. You should have quit reading there.
Old 30th March 2006, 11:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

biwiring: (verb) the act of selling an extra set of overpriced speaker cables to the naive consumer, usually resulting in a nice bonus for the salesman.
Old 30th March 2006, 11:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Biwiring really shud be spelled "buywiring". It is just another snake oil, faith based concept turned product designed to separate the gullible consumer from his cash.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 30th March 2006, 01:14 PM   #8
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

"buywiring",

Good one Bob!

Old 30th March 2006, 01:19 PM   #9
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim
Biwiring really shud be spelled "buywiring". It is just another snake oil, faith based concept turned product designed to separate the gullible consumer from his cash.
It's either that or single-pair binding posts Dynaudio doesn't know loudspeakers.
Old 30th March 2006, 01:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

How about this guys. I've never felt the need to "buywire"..but I guess having a crossover next to your amplifier and then running a pair to your tweeter and then a pair to your woofer ( in the case of a 2 way) should have advantages?

Hide this!Advertise here!