Using Ixys current regulator as current sink.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
I would like to use the regulator in the link below as a current sink. Using it as a load on the drain of a mosfet or a tube is pretty straight forward. Unfortunately the datasheet doesn't show any info on using it as a current sink on the source of an N channel fet or tube. Has anyone played around with this regulator. Anyone have any ideas on how to use it as a current sink? Thanks.

http://www.ixys.com/98704.pdf

G

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can use it easily to bias a tube from the cathode or a
Fet from the Source, or a Bipolar from the Emitter. It's
just a monolithic current source: drop it in.

Its dynamic resistance is 10Kohm. I would not necessarily
want to use it where there is high voltage swing, as it is
not that great a current source in that respect. Of course you
can take care of that by cascoding it.

G

Joined 2002
Thanks Nelson. At least I know now that it can be done. I thought that if I used a voltage divider off of the B+(300 volts) and biased the "G" pin with a certain voltage(yet to be determined) and connect the A pin to the cathode of 6SN7 and K to ground that I would have a simple constant surrent source that doesn't take up too much space.

G

I had never seen that device before; that was interesting.:cool: If you want a good current sink, here's one I cooked up recently that has an output resistance of about 400 Megohms. It is the second cct on the page. The voltage is only limited by the fet you use. Larger current fets run at relatively low current seem to give the best results DC wise, but smaller lower capacitance fets would give better performance at HF. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...ight=constant current circlotron&pagenumber=4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.