Harman Kardon amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i was given this amplifier (HK pm645 VXI) because it wasnt working, found out its the trasformer wich's thermal probe was blown, but i had to unwind the whole secondary coil to realise that. I took notes of how many turns, what wire and so on.... but im worried about one thing, i bought the same wire, and im about to wind it back,

what if the voltage isnt 100% exact as before? i couldnt find any specs on the net to see what its even supposed to be..... :xeye:

and is this amplifier any good? its a 4 channel 60w per chan one i think, is it worth all the trouble?

i'll post pics eventualy

ok, well now i finished winding the new transformer, i tested it, and it works fine, theres a +\- 0.,5 volts difference between rails..

theres -70v|-50v|+50v|+70 for 4/8ohm

theres one small problem now.. becuz of the electromagnetic field and the ac voltage, the thing vibrates a little.. i hear some lil metalic plates vibrating.. and its somehow anoying.. what should i do? i tougt about heating some floor laquer to get it to about 40c so it gets very liquid.. and to put the transformer in it for 2-3 hours, then leave it to dry, is that a good idea?

"and to put the transformer in it for 2-3 hours, then leave it to dry, is that a good idea?"

Yup, that is fine, and then hang it on the clothes line for a week.
In my experience HK amplifiers run red hot (high bias current), so I usually back off the bias current - you won't notice sonic differences.
Also, they are very prone to dry/cracked solder joints, so my usual soloution is to blanket resolder the amplifier and power supply/regulator stages, and then you will have a long term reliable amp.

Eric.

Citation manual

That seams to be Harman's intranet, req. of user and pass.

-So that’s only for resellers

I’m looking for Service manuals for Citation XX and X-I

Can some one please help me.

I’m planning to build a clone off Citation 1.5 or maybe the older X-I.

May gees is that the XX model is an bridged X-I perhaps the manual can tell.

// Thomas

Re: Citation manual

thbl said:
That seams to be Harman's intranet, req. of user and pass.

-So that’s only for resellers

I’m looking for Service manuals for Citation XX and X-I

Can some one please help me.

I’m planning to build a clone off Citation 1.5 or maybe the older X-I.

May gees is that the XX model is an bridged X-I perhaps the manual can tell.

// Thomas

I don't have a service manual for the XX, but I do have one for the X-I. Here you go:

Citation X-I

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.