Bored...2n3055e amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks for the posting re the texan circuit
the mosfet version reminds me od a crimson electric version that i used to use this would be in the late 70/early eightys
using the hitachie mosfets the beuty in this is the fact that the sp loads are on the drains on the output devices this enables them to saturate better and obtain more output than in the source follower mode
plus the drivers etc a very low cost all in all a cheap to make but a unit that will perform well
i have in the past built a version using darlingtons this produced 30 watts at a very credible 0,01% midband all for about £5 per channel excluding the psu

darkfenriz said:
These parts are obsolete and it may turn out to be waste of time to build up something from these. For also very low price you will get tl07x or NE5532 op-amps, which are way better. Modern power trasistors will be probably something like 2$.
No need to use your old dirt whereas silicon costs nothing nowadays, main expense is transformer, heatsink and PCB.

I don't think so :no:

741s make good comparators and error amps for voltage regulators, and work as a quick 'n' dirty solution where fidelity isn't a concern (audio strip for long wave receiver).

I used 2N3055s to make the break for a 2" induction coil. They work pretty good there too, and barely warm up. Price is right as well: dirt cheap. :yes:

It is personal offence and shame for an op-amp to work as a comparator ;) . Comparators are the 'lower race' for op-amps.

Agreed of course.
I meant it is not useful and not economically wise to make it directly amplify audio signal nowadays. They may work OK. for some Sallen Key filters of guitar stuf or comparators or error amps for reg... and you can use them if you have some spare. But hi-fi audio amplifier is not that place.

regards
Adam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.