Cap across bias stabiliser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if there's any sonic advantage to placing a cap across the bias stabilising circuit in the output stage of an amp,
e.g. in Rod Elliots 3A amp, between the bases of the drivers Q5,Q6.
or would this interfere with the stabilising action of Q9?
I beleive the AKSA amp does something like this?

cheers,
Pete McK

PeteMcK said:
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if there's any sonic advantage to placing a cap across the bias stabilising circuit in the output stage of an amp,

cheers,
Pete McK
A good question.
I have seen very different values used in different amps.
From no cap to 100 uF.
If it is sonically is questionalble.
I would guess, that the value of the cap
is determined by a check with oscilloscope in the final trim.

It will not interfer with the current sensor,
that is a very slow process, compared to the upper audio frequency

Hi Halojoy,

Almost all PP amps use a capacitor across the bias generator, bridging the two driver bases. This is common practice, and has been for forty years since SS PP amps first appeared.

It is done for two reasons.

First, any signal which appears at the bottom of the bias generator is transferred unchanged to the top, so that both driver bases see exactly the same AC signal. Obviously if the positive devices saw a different signal to the negative devices, then asymmetrical distortion would be introduced on otherwise perfectly symmetrical waveforms. This might be corrected by the negative feedback loop, and probably would be, but it's always best to avoid sources of distortion if you can.

Second, when the amp is first powerd up, this capacitor has to charge up. This happens over a few milliseconds, and ensures that the bias current on the amp slowly comes up to speed. This means any asymmetries in the turn on spike will remain infrasonic, and won't be heard.

Yes, the AKSA is no exception to this, and uses a 10uF electrolytic in this role. A properly biased Vbe multiplier (fancy name for bias generator!) will be reasonably AC transparent, but a cap guarantees it, and this is good for overall quality. However, the quality of this cap is much less important than say the quality of the input cap.

Cheers,

Hugh

www.aksaonline.com

PeteMcK said:
Hi Guys,

100 nF/63 V polyester (works really good) or ceramics of some sort is a good start, plus maybe 10µF-100 µF electrolythic cap. The circuit simulates a voltage source so you can't get too low impedance.

As usual - succint and to the point

Nelson Pass said:
The cap across the bias network of your typical push-
pull follower can be a crummy cap since it doesn't
actually carry signal.

I am very glad to have that info.

Now if I will be able to remember it at the appropriate time, I will be even happier

Ken

As always, I wish to thank Nelson Pass for his generous support of this forum

Vbe Multiplier impedance

"The cap across the bias network of your typical push-
pull follower can be a crummy cap since it doesn't
actually carry signal."

Nelson, are you saying that the impedance across the Vbe multiplier seen by the signal is so low that a cap will make no difference?
Perhaps thats's why Rod Elliot's 3A amp doesn't use one??

Cheers,
Pete McK
P.S. thanks for the discussion guys...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.