How to test bias - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2006, 09:52 PM   #1
adlaic is offline adlaic  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How to test bias

What is the bias and how do you test it on a transistor amp?

Thank You,

Adlai
Old 20th March 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can measure idle current of output devices by measuring voltage drop on emitter/source resistors (>95% of amps have them) when no signal is applied to input. Every digital voltmeter can do this.
Old 20th March 2006, 10:40 PM   #3
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darkfenriz
You can measure idle current of output devices by measuring voltage drop on emitter/source resistors (>95% of amps have them) when no signal is applied to input. Every digital voltmeter can do this.
we are not as smart as you, does this relate to bias? how so?

If I measure 1V drop across 0.5 ohm resistor, do you simply say V=IR and I = V/R so bias = 1/0.5= 2 amps per device. Then multiply by the # of devices to get bias/channel? Then multiply by # channels to get bias/ amp?
Old 20th March 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lgreen

If I measure 1V drop across 0.5 ohm resistor, do you simply say V=IR and I = V/R so bias = 1/0.5= 2 amps per device. Then multiply by the # of devices to get bias/channel? Then multiply by # channels to get bias/ amp?
Yes, that's how I understand it, except idle current is the same through a pair of output devices.
Old 20th March 2006, 11:38 PM   #5
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How to test bias

Quote:
Originally posted by adlaic
What is the bias and how do you test it on a transistor amp?
For what bias is/does, see this guide.

On the actual setting procedure, I found it slightly misleading in places, "Then, turn the amp off if you have only one set of speaker binding posts, or turn on Speakers B, and measure the DC offset." I'd just turn the volume right down, switching the amp power off seems a bit counter-productive.

If you can find a Service Manual for your amp it will advise on the manufacturer's recommended setting (and the test points to use).
Old 21st March 2006, 12:19 AM   #6
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If you can find a Service Manual for your amp it will advise on the manufacturer's recommended setting (and the test points to use).
Yes. There are some general rules that experience will teach you. Also, when you have multiple output pairs, make sure the current is shared relatively evenly. That's an indicator of transistor matching.

-Chris
Old 21st March 2006, 12:30 AM   #7
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: How to test bias

Quote:
Originally posted by cpemma

For what bias is/does, see this guide.

On the actual setting procedure, I found it slightly misleading in places, "Then, turn the amp off if you have only one set of speaker binding posts, or turn on Speakers B, and measure the DC offset." I'd just turn the volume right down, switching the amp power off seems a bit counter-productive.

snake oil....

just another "expert" article,from series of "how to make that sheeety amp little less sheeety".......

I agree with you about manual- in any case manual is good for knowing exact procedure

Hide this!Advertise here!