How much total attenuation???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a program that will allow me to calculate the steps for a series attenuator. but it requires i enter a number for the total attenuation.

How much attenuation is required for a typical stepped series volume control? This will be placed between a CD player and a Power amp.

Hi,
aim for between -60db and -80db.

But if you never listen to quiet music a smaller range may do, -40db to -60db.

You can also set the first step at -20db (or even higher) if you have a sensitive system that tends to have a high attenuation during all listening sessions.

Hi,
most pots will go down to completely off (-infinitydb).

Very few audio taper pots are accurate by the time they get to -60db, the balance starts to wander to and fro as you adjust the attenuator. At -80db they are usually hopeless.

It is to improve this balance problem that some use a dual linear pot.

Then we are in a different ballpark when we go to stepped attenuator. You can easily achieve +-0.1db and even ten times better with selection, both in balance and absolute terms.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Zero Cool,

the attenuation of the pot is 20 log (Rmeasured / Rpot).

Example : the pot is Rpot = 10 Kohm, you measure Rmeasured = 100 ohm at the cursor (between cursor and ground) and so you get

20 log (100 / 10000) = -40 dB

Regards

rephil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.