Why is 40 volts DC comming out of my amps left channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This problem started seeking a solution a week ago with the name of "testing FET transistors"

My hunch of a muffled buzzing and crackling sound comming from the left channel of my 88 princeton chorus turned from a blown transistor problem to wide spectrum of causes including dirty pot connections, leaky capacitors, fried resistors, and transformer problems. I have now found that 40-50 volts is being sent from the left output.

Are there any normal causes for this?
How can i fix them if so?

If the amp is so damaged as you describe, I'm not surprised it has that much DC on the output. :)
Start with finding a schematic if you don't have it, measure every semiconductor and resistor. Recap thoroughly. Try to decouple the output stage and use a variac.
Good luck. Can you share a picture?

/Hugo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hugo,
The transistor in question turned out to be an IC amp chip.

sound_prodigy,
If things were that easy we wouldn't need trained technicians and test equipment. Like a detective, you need to find out some facts and follow clues to the answer.

Get the schematic and make some measurements. I did link to the IC data sheet, so start by measuring all the voltages with respect to ground and posting.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.