ESP P3A amp, very noisy - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2002, 03:23 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

swede: Hm, i have tried the channels separatly, can't remember the resulits though, i could test it again.

If the hum came from the bridge, wouldn't it spread to both channels then? I mean, one channel is very clean and the other one is totally ****ed up :-)

chris ma: Im sorry, but i dont know what you mean :-)
-ve, is that ground? In that case i have tried everything you suggested.
What do you mean by "jump grounds"?
Old 15th November 2002, 09:50 AM   #32
Mambo is offline Mambo  Italy
diyAudio Member

I got the same problem with my amp about a year ago; i solved it connecting al the grounds to a start point obatined with a plated block, like those used in car system to collect all the grounds from the amps, and then connecting it with a 4/5 inch cable to the caps. Avoid to connect directly any ground return (either supply or signal or speaker) between to the caps or to their terminals because their charge and discharge cycles can cause a great amount of noise.
Old 15th November 2002, 11:47 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

DaViruz,

Sorry about my expression, jump grounds, like jump start a car with cables, connect dirty grounds together, connect signal grounds together, and jump/connect the two gathering points by a single wire.

Last time I solved my gound problem was to leave the amp as is, used a hook up wire experiment the results by shorting/ connecting different ground points, notice which connection would increase or decrease the ground noise. I used a old disposable 8 ohm speaker as load and listen to the noise.
Old 16th November 2002, 07:07 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I just tried running the channels separate, the ledt one was silent and the right one still made that annoying sound. I was pretty sure botch channels were silent before, but that was appearantly wrong. :-)
Oh, and here is the board i designed for this amp, it isn't exactly the same though, this is an enhanced version i made after i made the acrual boards for the amp. The only difference is that i moved around the components.
http://daviruz.homelinux.org/pics/amp/poweramp.png

Hide this!Advertise here!