Homebrew SMD soldering iron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did not see that this was yet posted on the forum or in the Wiki but I did check it over for a while. I have seen people use toaster ovens to solder small SMD parts but I had not yet seen this one. A friend at work sent me the link. Could be nice for those tiny op amps etc. It is a modification to a de-soldering station to make it into a localized hot air reflow station. No.. I have not tried making one because we have a reflow oven at work but I am designing 0603 parts and seriously considering it for single part assembly.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/07/how-to-make-a-surface-mount-soldering-iron/

I have used 0603 resistors quit a bit and have figured out how to solder them in acuratly, but it takes a steady hand and a low wattage soldering iron with a small tip though. I use a small 1/8" flat head screw driver that I have stuck to a magnet for a while. It retains enough magnetic flux to pic up these tiny components so that they are flush with the end of the screw driver as they are about the same thickness, 0.5mm I think. Anyway, I melt solder onto one side of the connection, then place one side of the resistor into the molten solder. The surface tension sticks it to the solder and then I use the screwdriver to move and hold it into place. When the solder cools, I solder the other side and wallaaahh! tiny smd circuits. This technique is certainly low tech but it works. A magnifying glass is helpfull. I can assemble fairly quickly this way...but I not a robot.:rolleyes: If it were only that easy to desolder these things out when I mess up and use the wrong one:xeye: . That is the real challenge...without making a complete mess out of the whole thing.:smash: :drool: :headbash: :Ouch: :drink: :drunk:

I actually prefer these to the 0803 which are a little larger, you can almost see them:clown: . The 0803's are just big enough not to stick to my screwdriver and become actually harder to use.:xeye: go figure...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.