fm deemphasis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where should the FM deemphasis switch be set on the back of my NAD receiver? 25uS - 50uS - 75uS? There is very little info on the topic online. I suspect the switch is there accompanying the voltage selector (also present) since some comment was made on where to set it depending on what country you find yourself in. One fellow stated that it should be 75 in the U.S.. 75 seems to accomplish as much as putting a blanket in front of the speakers. Elsewhere high frequency distortion at 25uS was mentioned. Do I hear that? Hmm, maybe I do. Obviously fm broadcasting standards in the U.S. make one setting optimal, but I haven't found the answer yet. (or an owners manual for this unit).

(Listeners lament.. I'm beginning to need a couple of stiff drinks anymore with this hobby before I can forget about crap like this and just enjoy the music).

And while I'm in the mood. What possible purpose can anyone have in mind spending big dollars on a tuner section when 98.2% of what is broadcast to 99.3% of consumers in 99.99% of the geographical space on this globe is garbage? If it weren't so frustrating, it'd be laughable. Where I sit, I have one or two stations that come in crisply, clearly, and without unbearable distortion.. whenever I'm in the mood to get PROSELYTIZED! What is it with those stations? How many gagawatts do you need when so many independant (nonclearchannel) musical-gem stations are going wanting in the streets? Where's the goodwill? Where's the love?

Anyway. I have a broadband connection. Is there any current wisdom on spending much effort to pipe online broadcasts into your audio gear? The content might be great. But I keep hearing complaints about compression and such. Is the situation that bad?
Any nicely priced "black boxes" out there to unite the laptop with the stereo system yet? Oh, and please write a small check today to your favorite local independant. It's WYCE 88.1 hereabouts.

(sorry, diyaudio does not have a "rants" section yet. perhaps if I'm here long enough you'll upend a little soapbox over in the corner for me)

Deemphasis should be 75uS in the US, 50uS in Europe. Doe sthe receiver have an IF bandwidth switch also? if this is the 'narrow' setting, treble might appeared a bit rolled-off also. Beyond that - it's down to the station's engineeering. NAD tuners I've heard are generally very good indeed.

Sorry to hear your content providers are so dismal - it's happened here as well. That said, we still have excellent engineering on BBC Radio 3 and 4 (and to a lesser extent, R2 also) - and my tuner (Onix BWD1) is probably my most-used source. Live relays on R3 can be stunning, and a good argument against DAB...

Actually, reading a bit fuirther down on the very first google hit for 'US FM deemphasis' gives you the answer:

75uS for US
50uS for EU
25uS for Dolby FM (never gained acceptance)

DAB / IBOC are definitely overcompressed, as are most feeds via broadband internet. Sattelite radio is also compressed but by a much smaller ratio, with the corresponding increase in sound quality. That being said, a good FM tuner and a good FM station still competes with it easily, and beats the pants off ay DAB station I have ever heared.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.