Want to build amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to build amplifier with mosfet output devises. I have one with bipolars, so it will be interesting to build with mosfets. So I need AB class amplifier schematic capable to drive 4 ohms speakers, aprox 100 watts. I have a few schematic, but I know nothing about theirs sounding. I need god sounding amplifier, any suggestion are welcome.

I wanted build Zenquito, but I cant' find output devises, there are any substitutes.
Second variant was crescendo, but it has problem with oscilations, so I change my mind.
And the last one this (shematic below), but with irfp240/9240 output devises. Did someone tryed to build this amplifier?

This is the 'HEXFET Elektor Amp'
with IRF540/9540
and Common Collector output with a bit of voltage gain.

It is a good amplifier, and not too complicated.
I think, you can replace with those other HEXFET IRFP240/9240
without only small changes.

But best is of course using original IRF540/9540.
Because this is what it is designed for.
There is nothing that makes amp better, using other transistors.

:cool:

lineup said:
...I think, you can replace with IRFP240/9240
...But best is of course using original IRF540/9540 because this is what it is designed for.
...There is nothing that makes amp better, using other transistors.

Well, that's what you think :)
P240/9240 are not true complements, and 540/9540 are even less so. IRFP140 and 9140 would be approximate equivalents for the 540/9540 with the notable exception of vastly improved power dissipation capability. Another combination would also give you pretty decent complementarity (which, BTW this topology could use to an advantage). So yes, it can be improved by changeing transistors - as long as you know what you are doing.

There was a whole thread here on that amp, with several suggested modifications, as well as a report of a board member that did carry them out.

ilimzn said:

Well, that's what you think :)

There was a whole thread here on that amp, with several suggested modifications, as well as a report of a board member that did carry them out.

Still, the original amplifier worked very well with non-complementary pair.
There is no reason why IRF540/9540 cant and should not be used,
as the circuit take into count differences, capacitance, RDSon or whatever, that exists.
At least these differences are not allowed to mess up this designs performance.

And yes, IRF540 / IRF9540 is far from 'true complementary'.
This more a rule than an exception for MOSFET / HEXFET, and even often for bipolar transistors.
So much for building 'symmetrical amps'.

:)

That is quite an interesting design. It doubt anyone without experience in fabricating PCBs would be able to get good results with that topology. That design IMO looks inherently unstable. It will work fine if constructed properly, certainly not one for the unexperienced in amplifier construction.

andriusha said:
So I need AB class amplifier schematic capable to drive 4 ohms speakers, aprox 100 watts. I have a few schematic, but I know nothing about theirs sounding. I need god sounding amplifier, any suggestion are welcome.

I'm currently building a pair of amplifiers based on David Tilbrook's AEM6000 design, originally published in an Australian electronics magazine in 1987. It may also be of interest to you.

They use Hitachi 2SK1058 and 2SJ162 lateral MOSFETs in the output, and the input uses a JFET diff-pair with bipolar cascodes. The design simulates well, with THD of 0.001% at 1KHz driving 200W into 4 Ohms (+/-60V supply). I've laid out a two layer PTH PCB for it as well, and am currently getting the bits together to build a couple. The MOSFETs aren't cheap!

See the following for more info:

It's probably a little on the complex side, but should (I hope) be a rewarding project. By all indications they should sould fantastic.

Cheers,

Suzy

Hi looking at the 6000 schem. i see a lot of stages there it all
looks impressive the stages look well thought out but at the
same time i look at zen and wonder at the extent to which
amp design varies between america and england

the vast architecture of the 6000 and fully symmetry is a work
that demonstrates clearly that superiority is it

but the humble zen bets on the fact that the designer is a guru
like NP, wine, class-a,...etc

cheers

DIYdo said:
That is an incredibly complex (complex is only complicated to those who can't see it as it's component parts) amp. I like it!!!. Bet that takes some doing to construct. Definetley a masterpiece of design work.

Yeah, I agree (hence building some). The only argument that I can see for simplicity is reducing parts count, and thus cost. Unless you're building with tagboard, of course, in which case the simpler (and slower the transistors) the less likely it'll be to oscillate.

The design presses all the right buttons with me - modest gain for each stage, carefully balanced topology, plenty fast components. I'm sure it will be well worth the effort of building.

Cheers,

Suzy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.