My new SC480 Pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres me first attempt at an amp..

2 SC480 modules
1 Speaker protector module
2 Power supply modules
1 300VA 30V Toroidal
In 19 inch rack case

50WRMS x 2 into 8ohm

Wiring needs to be tidied and thermal protection added, otherwise its finished..

To my ear sounds pretty good..

Dion.

Attachments

• sc480.jpg
    sc480.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 681
Yes, thats right. I made no modifications. Originally I had 60 degree thermal switches on the heatsinks, it would turn off under heavy load. Upgraded to 90 degree switches and now gives no trouble at all. I notice one of the resistors on the board has discoloured a bit, but is no real cause for concern. Oneday I'd like to try a modified version with 21193/4 pairs in the output stage, upgraded drivers and front end with about 50v rails. I have enough 21193/4s to replace the 29/3055 devices, so I might do that oneday too.
Quoted from the SC website..
"The process basically involves increasing the main supply rails to ±50V, changing the output transistors to MJ15003/MJ15004 (TO-3 types), Q1-Q3 to BC556, Q4 & Q5 to BF469 and Q6 to BF470 and increasing the power supply capacitor values and voltage ratings to 63V. Naturally a much bigger transformer is also required."

I guess if you did use a 30v toroid and you had trouble, upgrading the devices would be the fix?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.