Behringer ep2500 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2006, 10:51 AM   #1
adlaic is offline adlaic  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer ep2500 amp

I bought one of these amps its says the output is 2400w@4 ohm bridged. WELL, I have two 8 ohm folded horn subs that are rated at 400w rms each. I hook them up together to get 4 ohms and I can push the amp all the way to the point of clipping and never get any distoration out of the subs. There is no way this amp puts out what it says. Does anyone know the real specs on this amp? Sorry but I didn't know where to post this question.
Old 27th February 2006, 01:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

2400W - 4 Ohm bridged mono
1500W - 8 Ohm bridged mono
1200W (x2) - 2 Ohm
750W (x2) - 4 Ohm
500W (x2) - 8 Ohm

http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=248-747
Old 1st March 2006, 12:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I already know what Behringer says the specr are on this amp. They are in the manual. I need to know the real watts that this amp puts out and I don't have an o-scope to test it. I was just wondering if anyone has tested one of these. If it put out 2400w RMS @4ohms bridged it should blow my 400w RMS speakers right.
Well, my 400w RMS speakers handle it like its a walk in the park.
Old 1st March 2006, 01:58 AM   #4
gmikol is offline gmikol  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a couple of random ideas...

--Have you checked the block of DIP switches on the back to make sure the 30Hz and 50Hz HPF's are disabled? You could pour a ton a power into a speaker if it was aggressively HPF'd at 50Hz.

--It's also possible that 400W RMS is your speakers thermal limit, and that it is thermally limited before it is Xmax limited.

--Is it the stage driving the amp that's clipping, or the input stage of the amp clipping, instead of the output stage clipping?

--Does the speaker have some sort of internal current limiting (lightbulb or other)?

Like I said these are just random thoughts. You may have thought of or checked all these things already.

I'm thinking of getting one of these. In general, aside from issues relating to max power, what do you think of the amp & sound quality?

Can you check to see if the "rack ears" are removable?

--Greg
Old 1st March 2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Folded bass horns handle power quite well, and music signals usually have a quite forgiving peak to average ratio (the amplifier clips due to the peaks but is delivering a low average power). I wouldn't be surprised. You will blow the speakers if you allow it to clip badly, though.

If you want to measure the actual power levels delivered to the load, build a simple peak detector with a 1N4007 diode, a 1uF 100V capacitor and a 1Mohm bleeder resistor across the capacitor. Connect it to one channel and to your multimeter and enjoy.

Total peak power delivered will be two times V^2/R. Just V^2 in your setup. Expect 70 volts peak coming from each channel, that's not so hard to obtain with modern two-tier or three-tier class-H circuits, and everybody seems to use them now in high power PA.
Old 1st March 2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of getting one of these to run four Quatro 15 ported subs (sitting underneath the front of my screen). I'm wondering if there's a (relatively easy, ham-handed, know enough about electricity to say "oh bleep!" occasionally) method to alter that 30hz highpass to something on the order of 18-20hz... Anyone know how steep it is?
Old 1st March 2006, 02:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

What is your input source and how did you set the gain? You've got these two 8ohm speakers wired parallel, right?
Old 1st March 2006, 07:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If it put out 2400w RMS @4ohms bridged it should blow my 400w RMS speakers right.

That's not how it works in the real world playing music.
For instance, I can connect a 200w rms amp to 5w rms
drivers and not blow them up under certain conditions.

Another tidbit, proamp ratings may not be based on
the 'rms method', I'll make a wild guess and say the EP2500
probably is probably around 1kw using rms method running
continously.
Old 1st March 2006, 08:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My input is a Behringer mixing board and yes the speakers are in parallel.
Old 1st March 2006, 08:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Eva,

do you have a diagram of the simple peak detector

Hide this!Advertise here!