Class D Amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2001, 06:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know were i can get plans (for free) or info on Class D amps? I want to build one for an SPL car im making, so sound quality is not a huge consideration. The amp would only need to go to about 100Hz.
An seggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18th September 2001, 01:45 AM   #2
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmmm, i recall a really good appnote from one of the semi companies... Harris? Lemme go check this one out...
Old 18th September 2001, 01:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

darn. Well, the Harris appnote was for the HIP4080A class-D amplifier chip that Harris (now Intersil) made. I remember reading it several years ago. When I get home I'll dig through my files, and hopefully the appnote is still there, because it provides a very good overview of class-D technology and all the equations you could stand regarding power output and efficiency etc...

I'll get back to you on this one. BTW, if anyone knows the datasheet and/or appnote I'm referring to, by all means post a link or something. I'd really like to have a copy of it for my archives (if i don't already).
Old 18th September 2001, 06:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've found a few pages that might be useful. First, there's the application notes on the HIP4080 (also 4081). These are located under 'http://www.intersil.com/design/param...?pn=HIP4080AIP'. Second, I found a schematic for the Crest LT 1000/1500/2000 Class-D amps. It's at 'http://www.crestaudio.com/media/pdf/lt_schematic.pdf'.

Good luck.
Old 18th September 2001, 08:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

ah, there we go - AN9525 is the one I was thinking of...
Old 18th September 2001, 03:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Smile THANKS!!!

Thanks for the help. R there any similar sites that offer this type of info??
Old 18th September 2001, 04:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Welke
Thanks for the help. R there any similar sites that offer this type of info??
Each chip manufacturer with a Class-D driver chip will usually have some application notes posted. Both TI (TPA005, TPA032 and TPA2000) and Cirrus Logic (CS44210) have Class-D amp chips; you might want to check out their web sites.

As for the schematics, this is a result of poor website configuration. The schematics are supposed to be password protected. Crest goofed. Very few companies make this sort of information available for free, especially on a brand new product.

If you're looking for anything under a few hundred watts, the controller chips are the way to go. If you feel that you need more power (into the KW range) then you'll have to use a descrete controller instead of a chip. The crest schematic is helpful in this area.

If you're looking for a general understanding of how Class-D amps work, I have a functional diagram of a full-wave (similar to bridged) Class-D amp on the web that might help. It's at 'http://www.games.accs.com/ER/wizards/thoth/class-D.gif'. WARNING: I'm not an EE, and haven't built a Class-D amp. The diagram is based on my understanding of Class-D amp circiuts I've seen, and could be wrong.

Good luck.
Old 19th September 2001, 12:57 PM   #8
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Tripath (www.tripath.com) has some interesting designs too, with PCB layouts and lots of information. The conception is different, but it will work fine for you. They are able to sell and send to you even a single unity of an IC, if you want.

Regards
Old 19th September 2001, 10:19 PM   #9
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

we sell eval boards of the tripath and will possibly also sell eval boards of mono class-d amplifiers.

for one board (or two) i doubt it will make sense to make your own.... (yeah i know it says diy audio)

contact me for more info

bye k madsen - http://www.cadaudio.dk (km_cad@yahoo.com)

Hide this!Advertise here!