What 135W or more amplifier do you like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ron,
Rarely those varistors can go. A couple 1N4148's would work. Like any amp, these should be overhauled now and again. You haven't heard your amp until you go over everything. I think you like it now ...

Hi rmihai,
The new Cyrus Mono X are mono blocks (no kidding) rated at 150 W. I've got a set coming. I was able to talk with the engineer when I was in England and see the design. So I have high hopes even though I haven't heard it as yet. When they become available you should have a listen. I have a good idea how they might sound. This is a no overall feedback design. The detail should be amazing if manufacturing doesn't mess things up.

-Chris

Hi Chris,
You're right! I recaped my 300DC 4 years ago when it developed a problem. Might as well, it saved time doing both. I didn't recap expecting to listen for a difference, but when I played a CD...WOW!!
The sound was much clearer and stronger.

I just completed a 300DC repair for a fellow member, recap included. I found 3 caps that measured 0 or a few uF. The caps dried up over the years. No wrap shrinkage or other obvious defects.

As Chris stated, a recap is a good idea even if your amp isn't acting up. Defective capacitors will destroy transistors and their other associated components.

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.