Musical Fidelity A220 Schematics? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2006, 03:54 PM   #1
ckng is offline ckng  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Musical Fidelity A220 Schematics?

Hi,

Does anyone has the schematics or service manual for the Musical Fidelity A220? I searched around here and in google but cannot seem to locate one. Thanks!

Regards
CK
Old 27th February 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

hi try here, identical apart from output stage, which has more transistors

http://www.rspu.ryazan.ru/~foboss/pl...il.ru/mfa2.htm
Old 27th February 2006, 01:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.... Negative rail at the top of the schematic to confuse, why can't people stick to drawing conventions.

The bias setting pot goes to maximum current if the wiper goes open too.
Old 27th February 2006, 02:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks. The page appears to have only the pre-amp section tho, the power section is not shown. I can't read russian but are they trying to bypass the op-amps for some reason?

I am also wondering (assuming the circuitry is similar, at least for the pre-amp stage) is it feasible to take the ouput from the op-amps (pin 1/7) after the 100ohm resistor and use it as a volume-controllable preamp output?

Regards
CK
Old 27th February 2006, 03:19 PM   #5
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
Default the power section is not shown

reverse engineering:
http://www.rspu.ryazan.ru/~foboss/pl...2/MFA2MAIN.jpg

how it should be - from Paul Skritek
Handbuch der Audio-Schaltungstechnik
http://www.rspu.ryazan.ru/~foboss/pl...MFA2/AMPSK.jpg
Old 19th April 2008, 03:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Musical fidelity A220 repair scematic anybody please

Hi guys,

i have a wonderful A220 which just gave up in a puff of smoke. As i love this sweet sounding amp i would love to get it fixed again but for that i need a circuit diagram. Can anybody help please.
I already had a look at previous posts but the links are dead.

Thanks guys
T.ruppenthal
Old 8th December 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Schematics for the Musical Fidelity A220

Hi,

Does anyone has the schematics for the Musical Fidelity A220? I searched around here and in google but cannot seem to locate one. I am interested in the differences with the MF A2.

Regards
Hans
Old 12th March 2011, 09:03 AM   #8
cpitts is offline cpitts  Australia
diyAudio Member

*BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!*

So to help people out, I'm doing a refresh/fix-up on my amp to make a really nice amp, a lot better. Won't divulge where I got this info, but here's a link to my site that's documenting my work (currently underway).

Doodads galore! We just luv em.

Have also completely rebuilt my speakers as well which is worth a read (jump to the link via the menu at the top ). And no, I'm not selling stuff, pushing product or anything, I'm just wanting to share as much of this as possible.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitts View Post
*BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!*

So to help people out, I'm doing a refresh/fix-up on my amp to make a really nice amp, a lot better. Won't divulge where I got this info, but here's a link to my site that's documenting my work (currently underway).

Have also completely rebuilt my speakers as well which is worth a read (jump to the link via the menu at the top ). And no, I'm not selling stuff, pushing product or anything, I'm just wanting to share as much of this as possible.
Wow, can't believe this thread was revived after 5 years! Thanks for all the information that you've put up.

However, sadly, my A220 literally went up in smoke a few days ago after an hour of playing + 1 hour idling after that. White smoke came out from the vents until I powered it off and unplugged everything.

Suspecting maybe a blown electrolytic cap I wanted to open up the case but it's secured with security Torx screws. The next day I searched high and low in the nearest hardware store for a suitable driver and had to buy the whole set as they don't sell singles.

Anyway, after it's open, I found nothing that appears to be obviously burnt. One of the 1W(?) resistors in the right power stage had some chipping. I am not about to plug this in again to see what is actually burning up though.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this safely or will it be better to get a certified pro to check it out/repair it?

Thanks!

Regards
CK
Old 21st March 2011, 09:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitts View Post
*BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!*

And interestingly, your A220 has a pre-out, mine doesn't. Hmm...

Regards
CK

Hide this!Advertise here!