Amplifier for bi-wiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've got a question about the Lecson Stereo amplifier. At the rear side of it there are 4 speaker outputs (see drawing below - the red and black figures are terminals, the black ellipse at 'MM/MC' is a button), while the amplifier is rated at 2 x 40 Watts rms. The terminals are marked for bi-wiring.

I don't have any experience with bi-wiring, so I don't know what I should do with these 4 outputs. I also don't have any information about this amplifier.

Could I connect two terminals to the woofers and the other terminals to the tweeters? I really don't know how to connect my speakers...

thanks in advance

Erwin

Attachments

• lecson stereo back.gif
    lecson stereo back.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 199
Hi,

the terminals are simply repeated to allow easy connection of bi-wiring.

Bi-wiring is not mandatory, IMO a better quality single wire works better.

You cannot bi-wire directly to the drivers.

You need a crossover designed to be bi-wired with 4 terminals per speaker.

Otherwise just use one set of terminals per channel.

:)/sreten.

I think that bi-wiring is really not worth the effort, its benefits are more aesthetic than acoustic. So instead, you may consider building or buying an active crossover and another amplifier in order to enjoy the true benefits of an active system. However, be aware that such an active crossover would have to be custom tuned in order to match the acoustic properties of the drivers and enclosures employed.

Hi,
I believe there are large benefits to be gained in bi-wiring.
I mean the British version with a passive crossover.
I also believe that simply doubling up the cable but still single wiring to the terminals does not bring this benefit.

I think the benefit of tri-wiring is less than separating the bass voltage drop from the wiring to the mid and treble.

Take your black to black from amp to speaker and red to red.

Your two sets of cables to each speaker should be kept as short as possible. They definately don't look as nice as one set.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.