need 500 watt subwoofer amp kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
gompka is offline gompka  United States
diyAudio Member

Default need 500 watt subwoofer amp kit

I have tried searching but its just too hard to sort through all of the info that pops up.

I need a 500 watt amplifier to power my home subwoofer. It can be either 500 @ 8 ohm or 500 @2 ohm which ever is easier. If there is a kit that is just plug and play that would be great. I am pretty good with electronics but i suck at say etching pcb's. Is there any kit or project with a preprinted pcb that will work for me?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 18th February 2006, 07:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

500Watts is an extreme.
Sure it's possible, but difficult.
Why not back off a bit?
Or, bridge a couple of smaller amps?
Old 18th February 2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
Why do you need so much for a home subwoofer ? The power output at low frequencies is usually not so high - if you want a balanced system.
Old 18th February 2006, 08:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

is it overkill? I have my main speaker running 150 watts rms each channel and they get really loud. The subwoofer is an eclipse 88120 dvc with 500 rms and 1000 watt max rattings. I ran the subwoofer with 1000 watts rms in the car and it didn't over power the rest of the soundstage and I figured it was the same in home audio. At the very least ported i'm thinking 250 watts for the subwoofer? If there were some kits i could bridge for this amount of power that would be fine also.
Old 18th February 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

maybe it would be better if i looked into the class d/t section? I am not sure if those amplifiers would make a better newb project. I am a newb but have a neighbor who fixes electronics that would be able to help me if i got stuck
Old 18th February 2006, 08:35 PM   #6
Bazukaz is offline Bazukaz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bazukaz
For me it is very strange.
Usually , subwoofer needs LESS power than main system.Unless you miss the box for it , or it works out of phase with the main system.
For my DIY subwoofer , it needed several times less power than main loadspeakers.I needed 2x70w for main speakers and around 20-30W for a sub.
For sure , a lot depends on sensitivity, crossover point,etc.
I have seen ~500W kits on the net , but now i don't remember where.

Something like LM4651/52 is closer to the power you need.Maybe you can get the boards from somewhere.

Regards ,
Lukas.
Old 18th February 2006, 09:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

A 41hz Amp2 would do the trick with some component upgrades, although it'd be a little bit of a waste of such a good sounding amp. I don't personally know any other kits that can push that much power, although there are some designs laying around if you want to point-point or perfboard it.
Old 19th February 2006, 02:29 AM   #8
SamL is offline SamL  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

What about 400w into 4 ohm?

Elliott Sound now carry the ColdAmp Class D Amp module that is suitable to drive sub and is not too expensive.
http://sound.westhost.com/project116.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/project114.htm

Have fun...

Hide this!Advertise here!