need 500 watt subwoofer amp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried searching but its just too hard to sort through all of the info that pops up.

I need a 500 watt amplifier to power my home subwoofer. It can be either 500 @ 8 ohm or 500 @2 ohm which ever is easier. If there is a kit that is just plug and play that would be great. I am pretty good with electronics but i suck at say etching pcb's. Is there any kit or project with a preprinted pcb that will work for me?

Thanks,
Dave

is it overkill? I have my main speaker running 150 watts rms each channel and they get really loud. The subwoofer is an eclipse 88120 dvc with 500 rms and 1000 watt max rattings. I ran the subwoofer with 1000 watts rms in the car and it didn't over power the rest of the soundstage and I figured it was the same in home audio. At the very least ported i'm thinking 250 watts for the subwoofer? If there were some kits i could bridge for this amount of power that would be fine also.

For me it is very strange.
Usually , subwoofer needs LESS power than main system.Unless you miss the box for it , or it works out of phase with the main system.
For my DIY subwoofer , it needed several times less power than main loadspeakers.I needed 2x70w for main speakers and around 20-30W for a sub.
For sure , a lot depends on sensitivity, crossover point,etc.
I have seen ~500W kits on the net , but now i don't remember where.

Something like LM4651/52 is closer to the power you need.Maybe you can get the boards from somewhere.

Regards ,
Lukas.

A 41hz Amp2 would do the trick with some component upgrades, although it'd be a little bit of a waste of such a good sounding amp. I don't personally know any other kits that can push that much power, although there are some designs laying around if you want to point-point or perfboard it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.