David Broadhurst pre-amp impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2002, 12:45 PM   #1
dc is offline dc
diyAudio Member

Default David Broadhurst pre-amp impressions

Has anyone built or heard the pre-amp designed by David Broadhurst? http://www.geocities.com/d_broadhurst/preamp.html
How does it compare to the Aleph P1.7? The theories are very different. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to audition both for results?

From my search, it looks like this pre-amp was discussed at one point, but the discussion didn't show up in my search. Do old posts disappear?

Thanks.

brad
Old 7th November 2002, 06:28 PM   #2
The one and only

The theories are not different at all. He has cascoded
and current sourced the Zen Balanced Line Stage aka
BSOZ.

The current sourcing and cascode are the next logical
progressions of complexity, and they work fine.
Old 7th November 2002, 06:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Morello
Default Re: David Broadhurst pre-amp impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Has anyone built or heard the pre-amp designed by David Broadhurst? http://www.geocities.com/d_broadhurst/preamp.html
How does it compare to the Aleph P1.7? The theories are very different. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to audition both for results?

From my search, it looks like this pre-amp was discussed at one point, but the discussion didn't show up in my search. Do old posts disappear?

Thanks.

brad
It is nothing but a current-sourced differential-amplifier driving a cascoded common gate-stage.

I did also note a HUGE quisent current

Best regards\Morello
Old 7th November 2002, 08:54 PM   #4
dc is offline dc
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. When I said different in theory, I meant that Pass designs are known for their simplicity, while Mr. Broadhurst points out in his description that his pre-amplifier is an intentional move away from simplicity - as he states in the opening paragraph of his description: "It attempts to move away from the extreme simplicity of similar designs improving all areas of performance." I was simply looking for listening impressions as to whether the increased complexity improves the sound, as well as 'all areas of performance.' I understand that this is subjective, but I'm new to the game, and, as such, haven't developed preferences of my own, yet. I guess the only way I'll know which I like better is to build both circuits and then decide for myself. I was hoping others' opinions might guide me in choosing which unit to build first.
Old 8th November 2002, 06:59 PM   #5
The one and only

I don't think you'll easily find a consensus on this question.
I have seen opinions go both ways.
Old 8th November 2002, 07:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Mr. Pass is correct. I asked many times which one sounds better and never received clear answer.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th November 2002, 07:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I belive that one could design a preamp with much lower distortion by designing a discrete OP-amp and apply some regulative /negative feedback.

Best regards\Mr. LOOPGAIN Morello
Old 8th November 2002, 08:36 PM   #8
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
The broadhurst design is very very close to my cascoded BoSoZ design posted here. I think it sounds terrific. The distortion measures much lower than standard BoSoZ.
Old 8th November 2002, 09:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwb
The broadhurst design is very very close to my cascoded BoSoZ design posted here. I think it sounds terrific. The distortion measures much lower than standard BoSoZ.
Dear Sir,

Do You have any disortion-figures to show us?

I built a bassgitar-preamp(40dB gain) to a recording/music studio two months ago. It measured a distortion of -92dB from approx 1 Hz to 40kHz. -100dB had of course been better

\Morello

Hide this!Advertise here!