David Broadhurst pre-amp impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built or heard the pre-amp designed by David Broadhurst? http://www.geocities.com/d_broadhurst/preamp.html
How does it compare to the Aleph P1.7? The theories are very different. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to audition both for results?

From my search, it looks like this pre-amp was discussed at one point, but the discussion didn't show up in my search. Do old posts disappear?

Thanks.

brad

dc said:
Has anyone built or heard the pre-amp designed by David Broadhurst? http://www.geocities.com/d_broadhurst/preamp.html
How does it compare to the Aleph P1.7? The theories are very different. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to audition both for results?

From my search, it looks like this pre-amp was discussed at one point, but the discussion didn't show up in my search. Do old posts disappear?

Thanks.

brad

It is nothing but a current-sourced differential-amplifier driving a cascoded common gate-stage. :cool:

I did also note a HUGE quisent current :D

Best regards\Morello:) :) :) :) :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the replies. When I said different in theory, I meant that Pass designs are known for their simplicity, while Mr. Broadhurst points out in his description that his pre-amplifier is an intentional move away from simplicity - as he states in the opening paragraph of his description: "It attempts to move away from the extreme simplicity of similar designs improving all areas of performance." I was simply looking for listening impressions as to whether the increased complexity improves the sound, as well as 'all areas of performance.' I understand that this is subjective, but I'm new to the game, and, as such, haven't developed preferences of my own, yet. I guess the only way I'll know which I like better is to build both circuits and then decide for myself. I was hoping others' opinions might guide me in choosing which unit to build first.

jwb said:
The broadhurst design is very very close to my cascoded BoSoZ design posted here. I think it sounds terrific. The distortion measures much lower than standard BoSoZ.

Dear Sir,

Do You have any disortion-figures to show us?:)

I built a bassgitar-preamp(40dB gain) to a recording/music studio two months ago. It measured a distortion of -92dB from approx 1 Hz to 40kHz. -100dB had of course been better ;)

:cool: \Morello

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.